Part-Time Faculty and Staff Benefits
At Seminole State College of Florida, we highly value and recognize the commitment and dedication of our part-time adjunct faculty and staff. Listed below are a variety of benefits and programs we are proud to offer to our part-time employees in appreciation of their service to the College.
Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning
The Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning provides opportunities for all College faculty, full-time and part-time, to engage in professional development activities that respect the talents and expertise that faculty bring to the classroom. Services include computer and printer access; partnering with an instructional designer to create and practice delivery of course content and materials; certifications, programs and teaching tools help to expand your professional practice and development.
The adjunct academy provides an opportunity for part-time faculty to participate in professional development activities. Adjunct faculty are compensated for the time spent in the academy programs, and each session is designed with relevant topics and activities that can be used to enhance classroom instruction.
Professional Development Workshops
This is a series of workshops and learning activities during which faculty explore high impact practices that increase student engagement. Adjunct faculty are compensated for participation in some of these workshops.
Adjunct Faculty Award for Excellence
The adjunct faculty award for excellence recognizes and rewards excellence among outstanding adjunct faculty within the College’s four schools, with a monetary award distribution.
Adjunct Service Recognition Celebration
Adjunct faculty who have demonstrated long-term commitment to the College are formally recognized for their contribution in changing student lives.
Learning Connection and Professional Development
- New employees are welcomed to our College via our New Employee Orientation program held six times a year. Participants enjoy guest speakers from key areas of the College, activities to learn about the College’s culture and structure, a tour of the Sanford/Lake Mary campus, and lunch is provided.
- Important employee learning programs such as Campus Safety and Cybersecurity are offered anytime and anywhere via the Internet. Employees completing these online courses are compensated for their time.
- The Human Resources Education Program for Adjunct Faculty is held during Fall and Spring terms. This half-day program covers valuable information to help faculty be more confident and effective in their important roles. Presenters from Human Resources, Safety and Security, Assessment and Testing, Disability Support Services, and e-Learning are available to answer questions. Breakfast is provided and attendees are compensated for their time.
- All College employees have access to “Skillsoft” the world’s number one online learning content platform. The College leases this tremendous resource and provides it to employees as a free benefit. Skillsoft offers over 5,000 learning modules and 40,000 micro-learning videos anytime and anywhere via the Internet. Employees have an almost endless source of self-development on topics such as business skills, computer applications, programming languages, IT skills, and more. Included are “test prep” training programs for over 200 industry standard certification programs.
- Lunch and Learn programs are held monthly and cover a wide range of topics such as humor in the workplace, preventing identity theft, personal financial planning, making your own natural soap, and caring for elderly parents. Employees can attend live or view these programs from anywhere via the College’s intranet.
- Convocation and Learning Day is held once a year and is filled with fun, food, learning, and comradery. On this day, when classes are not held, employees gather to learn about the “state-of-the-college” followed by a wide array of workshops complimented by a catered lunch and topped off with a dessert social.
Staff and Program Development
Although the State of Florida no longer requires the college to provide Staff and Program Development funding, Seminole State College continues its commitment to support Staff and Program Development to assist with professional training, teaching-learning activities, instructional equipment, and travel. Part-time faculty and staff can receive up to $1,000 per fiscal year for these types of activities and resources.
Educational Fee Waiver
Part-time adjunct faculty and staff are eligible to apply for fee waivers to enroll in courses at Seminole State College after six (6) months of employment and working the applicable accumulated hours.
Adjunct faculty are periodically selected by their academic Deans for college-wide recognition in the “On Your RAIDar” employee newsletter.
College Committee Service
Part-time adjunct faculty and staff participate on various College committees and serve as representatives on the Faculty Senate.
Center for Fine and Performing Arts
Seminole State College’s Center for Fine and Performing Arts provides free admission for all faculty and staff to the following events throughout the year:
- Seminole State’s Center for Fine and Performing Arts Theatre presents six major productions per year.
- The Music Department presents an array of concerts and recitals throughout the year that highlight students and faculty as well as renowned regional and national artists
- The Fine Arts Gallery provides memorable exhibitions for diverse audiences, students and artists that promote the value and understanding of contemporary art within a local, national and international context.
Emil Buehler Perpetual Trust Planetarium
The Emil Buehler Perpetual Trust Planetarium offers free admission for all faculty and staff to live, interactive shows and full-dome video presentations that are unlike any planetarium show you’ll ever experience. From traditional star displays and cultural shows that detail the importance of astronomy around the world, to feature presentations that whisk you through the depths of outer space, the planetarium has something for curious stargazers of all ages.
Seminole State College Speaker Series
The Seminole State College Speaker Series provides free admission for all faculty and staff to attend speaker presentations representing diverse views and interests and panel discussions of topics in the news.
Social Security Alternative Plan
Part-time adjunct faculty and staff are automatically enrolled in the 401(a) FICA Alternative Plan where 7.5 percent of gross earnings are placed in a tax-sheltered annuity, in lieu of the current 6.2 percent Social Security contribution, for employees who would not otherwise be eligible for defined retirement plans. Seminole State’s FICA Alternative Plan is currently administered by TIAA, with flexibility in investment fund options available.
Retirement Savings Options
Seminole State has partnered with various investment providers to administer and provide a variety of financial services to help you plan, save, and invest for retirement. Faculty and staff may choose pre-tax and/or post-tax contributions and start building their retirement portfolio today by investing in 403(b) or 457(b) voluntary plans. These plans offer immediate vesting and are portable, which means they can be rolled into other investment options.
CFE Federal Credit Union
CFE Federal Credit Union is a member-owned, not-for-profit financial cooperative that offers financial solutions to help members achieve their financial goals. Seminole State faculty and staff can take advantage of CFE’s variety of financial services, including savings and checking accounts, debit and credit cards, auto and home loans, CFE also provides financial literacy workshops on a variety of topics to meet your needs.
Seminole State Employees (faculty, staff and adjuncts) receive $50 for a new checking and savings account with Seminole State affinity debit card. This offer also waives the one-time, $10 membership fee. No direct deposit required.
Raider Discount Program
By presenting a valid college ID, faculty and staff are eligible for discounts from area businesses through the Raider Discount program. These valuable incentives are a great benefit and discounts can be found in a wide variety of categories such as entertainment, health and fitness, retail establishments and, of course, discount tickets to watch the Orlando City Soccer Club.
Free LYNX Bus Transportation
Through a partnership with LYNX, all students, faculty and staff of Seminole State with a valid college ID, can enjoy unlimited rides on all LYNX fixed routes and NeighborLink routes for free. You may also download the LYNX PawPass mobile app on Android and iOS devises, to access a mobile ticket.
Health and Well-Being Benefits
All faculty and staff are eligible to participate in voluntary AFLAC insurance plans such as personal accident indemnity, hospital indemnity, and part-time adjunct faculty and staff may also elect dental coverage.
Employee Assistance Program
Life comes with various demands and the confidential employee assistance program administered by a third-party, provides resources and services to help make life easier for all aspects of wellbeing including: daily life assistance, financial assistance and work and life balance. These services are at no cost to employees and their family members, 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. All employees receive 5 no-cost counseling assistance sessions per issue, and their immediate household members.