First Generation Program
Welcome! The First Generation "First Gen" Program is dedicated to supporting incoming first-time-in-college, first-generation students at Seminole State College of Florida.
If neither of your parents graduated with their bachelor's degree, YOU are a first generation student.What does "first generation" mean?
The First Gen Program’s professional staff works closely with first-time-in-college, first generation students pursuing the A.A. degree during their first year at Seminole State until completion of 30 credit hours so that they will have a smooth transition into college and into their second year.
After reaching 30 credits, we invite first-gen students to stay connected through events and workshops on such topics as getting connected, finding scholarships, addressing mental well-being, and more. We partner often with HOPE Scholars, Campus Life, and the Career Center to support first-gen students in being successful and transitioning to their next step in reaching their goal of a bachelor’s degree.
Our mission is to provide first-generation, first-time-in-college students with the support and skills needed to be successful in college and complete a degree by offering comprehensive support services, resources, and student programs and activities.
- Personalized academic advising and coaching, including:
- Advisement for students whose major is undecided
- Identification of goals and determining personal strengths
- Development of an educational plan
- Financial aid assistance and scholarship information
- Regular communications and invitations to attend free campus events and workshops
- Referrals to appropriate resources
- Comprehensive support while attending Seminole State College
To schedule an advising appointment, visit our First Generation Advising Calendar.
To reach your advisors via e-mail, please contact First Generation Program or send a message through the First Generation Canvas course.
Foster Care Youth
The Coordinator for the First Generation Program serves as the Foster Care Liaison for the College. For questions about state waivers or support services, contact Jennifer Zelek at email@example.com.