Current International Student Information

As an international student, you're an important part of the Seminole State community. The International Student Office is designed to help you navigate the College and have a successful experience. Below, you'll find information about employment, maintaining F-1 status, transcript requests and other relevant topics. These resources are meant to provide general information and guidelines. If you have specific questions, contact the International Student Office to speak to an advisor. The staff will be happy to assist you.

SEVP/SEVIS guidance for Spring Term 2021: Due to COVID-19, students may enroll in online, in-person or hybrid courses for Spring Term 2021.

F-1 students may remain in the United States for up to 60 days after either the completion date on their I-20 form or completion of a program of study, whichever comes first. Students may also use their 60 day grace period to transfer to another institution. After completing F-1 status at an institution, F-1 students have three options:

  1. Depart the United States within 60 days after graduation, completion of studies or the completion date on the I-20 form
  2. Continue with F-1 status by pursuing further F-1 studies at the same institution by changing majors
  3. Transfer to another institution within 60 days

Note: The 60-day grace period can also be used to file for optional practical training (OPT). An OPT application must be completed within the 60 day period.

An F-1 student is considered to be "in status" during the annual vacation if the student is eligible and intends to register for the next term. Seminole State College has adopted the Summer Term as its official break term.

In order to be eligible, the student must:

  • Have been enrolled the previous term
  • Be in status
  • Have signed the Break Semester Authorization form

To obtain the Break Semester Authorization form, contact your international advisor. It is the student's responsibility to submit this form before the end of the current semester.

International students from Canada follow different procedures.

  • Apply to Seminole State. See the checklist for the documents you will need to apply.
  • If you are accepted, we will send you an I-20 form. You will need this form to legally stay in the United States.
  • When entering the U.S., you must have proof of citizenship and passport. This should include:
    • A birth certificate
    • A photo I.D. (this can include a passport)
  • Take the following documents to the Canada/U.S. border:
    • The I-20 form
    • Financial documentation
    • Passport
  • At the border, you must complete an I-94 form. This form has three sections:
    • Instructions
    • Arrival record card
    • Departure record card
  • The U.S. immigration officer will return the I-94 form to you. This is used as evidence of:
    • Legal entry into the United States
    • The student is an F-1 status student

There are a few instances when an international student may be approved to drop below a full course of study. Students must contact their international advisor to learn about eligibility, required documents and procedures. This process must be completed prior to the student reducing his or her course load. A student who drops below a full course of study without prior approval of the international advisor will be considered out of status.

Some possible reasons a student may drop below a full course of study include:

  1. Severe illness or medical conditions (documentation required)
  2. Initial difficulty with English language
  3. Initial difficulty with reading requirements
  4. Lack of familiarity with American teaching methods
  5. Improper course level placement
  6. Potential completion of course of study in current term

To obtain the Reduction of Student Course Load form, contact your international advisor.

Most international students in the United States hold an F-1 visa, which is the U.S. non-immigrant student visa. F-1 students are allowed to work in the United States, but only under certain conditions and in accordance with complex guidelines and restrictions issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

Generally, all employment is contingent on remaining within the terms and restrictions of your F-1 visa. There are several categories of employment during the term of your stay as an F-1 student in the United States

Students whose I-20 expires in 60 days or less and will be unable to complete their studies may be eligible to request an Extension of Stay. Extensions can be granted only if the student is maintaining his/her status and making progress toward completing his/her educational objective. Delays caused by academic probation or suspensions are not an acceptable reason for program extension. If a student is not eligible for a program extension, he/she will be considered "out-of-status." To be considered for an extension students must provide the following:

  1. Current financial documents with figures indicated in U.S. dollars and an official English translation if necessary.
  2. Affidavit of Support.
  3. Extension of Stay clearance form completed by an academic advisor.

Please deliver the aforementioned documents to the Seminole State International Student Office. If eligible, the student will be granted an extension of stay for a year to complete studies at Seminole State College. To obtain the Extension to Stay (I-20) form, contact your International Advisor.

In order to extend their F-1 visa, students must apply to renew the visa at a U.S. Embassy. This process cannot be completed within the United States, so students must renew their visas at an embassy in another country, per Department of State guidelines. Students must contact their international advisor before going to the U.S. Embassy. An application for an F-1 visa must include:

  1. Current, valid I-20 and endorsement
  2. Payment for Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS) fees, if applicable
  3. Updated financial documents
  4. An updated Affidavit of Support
  5. Passport valid for at least six months
  6. An Educational Plan
  7. Official transcripts
  8. A letter from international advisor

Upon the student's arrival to the U.S., students must bring their original passport, I-20 and a copy of their I-94 document to the International Office. For additional information, contact your international advisor.

F-2 dependents are the legal spouse and/or unmarried minor children of an F-1 student. The F-2 dependents may accompany the student to the United States or join him/her at a later date. F-2 dependents are not allowed to study unless the study is in an elementary or secondary school. If an F-2 wishes to study full-time, he/she must apply to change to an F-1 status. For more information about adding a dependent or changing status to an F-1 or F-2, talk to your international advisor.

You may wish to travel internationally while attending Seminole State as an F-1 student. You must have certain documents and follow procedures to be allowed back in the United States.

  • You must have an endorsed I-20 form.
  • The International Student Office must sign page three of your I-20. If you leave the U.S. without this signature, you may not be allowed to re-enter. Make an appointment with the international student advisor at least two weeks before you travel.

Traveling to Canada, Mexico or Adjacent Islands (other than Cuba)

If you are going to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean for fewer than 30 days, you must have the following to re-enter the United States:

  • An endorsed I-20 form
  • A valid passport

Note: If you are from Iraq, Iran or Libya, you must have a valid visa to re-enter the United States. This is regardless of your destination.

Other International Travel

When traveling to other international destinations, you will need to have the following to re-enter the United States:

  • A valid F-1 visa
  • An endorsed I-20 form
  • A valid passport

You must have a valid visa to re-enter the United States. If you do not have a valid visa, you may obtain one in:

  • Your home country
  • Canada
  • Mexico

To obtain a new visa, you may need:

  • An endorsed I-20 form
  • Your passport
  • A status letter from the international student advisor
  • New financial support documents
  • A copy of your transcripts

Visa application requirements vary. Call the Consulate Office in advance for more information.

International students (F-1/M-1) are required to purchase health insurance from the College's approved provider before enrolling. Visit: to purchase the approved insurance.  

Students must enroll in at least 12 credit hours each term to remain in status. Of those 12 credit hours, only three can be online or distance learning. Once enrolled in nine credit hours in a classroom, a student may take more online courses. However, students may not fall below nine credits in the classroom or 12 total credits.  

An F-1 student may be considered eligible for reinstatement by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) if the student:

  • Has not been out of status for more than five months at the time of filing the reinstatement application (or demonstrates that failure to file within the five month period was beyond his/her control).
  • Does not have a record of repeated violations of immigration regulations.
  • Is pursuing a full course of study.
  • Has not engaged in unauthorized employment.
  • Provides evidence of violation of status resulted from circumstances beyond the student's control, or reduction of course load without a DSO authorization.
  • Is not deportable on any grounds other than the status violation for which reinstatement is being requested.

To start the processes, see your international advisor.

Regardless of your income, all international students must file income tax forms.

If you are an F-1 status student, you must:

  • File tax form 8843 regardless of your income. This must be filed by mid-June.
  • File a 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ form if your income is U.S.-sourced. This must be filed by mid-April.

You can download the forms at

When filing your tax forms, you may need a taxpayer ID number or a Social Security number:

  • If you are filing form 8843, you do not need a taxpayer ID or Social Security number.
  • If you are filing form 1040NR-EZ, you must have a Social Security or a taxpayer ID number.

Contact the International Student Office if you need one of these numbers.

The International Student Office is not qualified or permitted to help you complete your tax forms. There are many complex treaties between the U.S. and other countries that could influence how your forms are completed. For assistance, refer to a professional company that exists to help in these matters.

Note: Tax laws may change. If such changes occur, you may obtain updated information from the International Student Office.

Please complete the following steps to transfer from Language Institute to college-credit courses and/or the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program:

  1. Complete a Seminole State College application. Note: At this time, international students must submit a printed Application for Admission.
  2. Have your foreign transcripts evaluated by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), World Education Services or Josef Silny and Associates.
  3. Meet with your international advisor to make an appointment to take the Computerized Placement Test (CPT) at the Assessment and Testing Center.
  4. Complete the Seminole State College Online Orientation.
  5. Attend the Immigration Orientation for College Students.
  6. Update your I-20 for college credit. It is illegal to enroll in college-credit courses with an I-20 for language courses.

If you are planning to transfer to another institution, please complete the following steps:

  1. Present your international advisor with a transfer form from the institution you are planning to transfer to.
  2. Complete the Authorization to Release Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Record Form and submit it to your international advisor. The earliest SEVIS files can be released is the day after classes end. SEVIS files cannot be released without a completed authorization form.

Contact your international advisor for more details.

  • Parking Passes: You can obtain a parking pass from the Cashier's Office at any Seminole State campus. A valid Seminole State ID Card is required.
  • Library Cards: You may obtain a Seminole State ID Card/Library Card in the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus library (Partnership Center), Oviedo Business Office, Altamonte Springs Campus library or Heathrow Center main lobby. The first card is no charge. Replacement cards are $10. For more detailed information regarding the Seminole State ID Card please visit the ID Card website.

100 Weldon Boulevard
Sanford, FL 32773