English Language Institute
Seminole State College's English Language Institute (ELI) is an intensive language program for international students whose native language is not English. The non-credit program focuses on improving English skills and preparing students to continue their education at the college level. Seminole State College is located in Central Florida near Orlando.
The ELI provides excellence in language instruction through our unique combination of strong academic curriculum and a friendly, welcoming environment.
- Six levels of English from beginner to advanced
- Core academic courses in speaking, listening, reading, writing and grammar
- Elective courses on a variety of fun and useful topics
- Educational class trips to state parks, museums, historic areas and local businesses
- Qualified, friendly faculty experienced in teaching English at all levels
- The latest materials, technology and techniques
- Personal academic advising with free tutoring and career guidance
- Diverse student population representing countries from all over the world
- Ideal location near Florida's tourist attractions and beaches
- Spectacular, warm and sunny weather all year
Location of Classes
The Sanford/Lake Mary Campus is home to dozens of programs, including the English Language Institute. The campus also features key cultural centers, like the Center for Fine & Performing Arts and the Emil Buehler Perpetual Trust Plantarium. It also serves as the College's intercollegiate athletics hub.
The English Language Institute costs $2,800.00 U.S. per level (for one complete 15-week term). Payment for the complete term is required in full at the time of registration. Price is subject to change.
Public transportation in the Orlando area is very limited. If you do not own a car, you should inquire about bus routes to the College and other service areas before selecting housing. You must provide your own means of transportation. A used automobile generally costs between $2,500 and $4,000. In the state of Florida, you are required to purchase automobile insurance.
In order to ensure a successful application process, please download, print, and complete all of the forms below.
American Homestay Network (AHN) has placed more international students in high quality, safe and well-managed homestays than any other similar program. The hosts are carefully selected to ensure that our students are placed in environments that are not only safe and comfortable but also warm and welcoming.
The Homestay Program
The Homestay Program includes:
- Homestay management and support throughout the entire homestay experience
- Extensive national criminal background checks for hosts
- Student support services including banking, interpretation and transportation
- Comprehensive online training and orientation for hosts and students
- Professionally staffed 24/7 critical incident hotline
- Automated online payment services for students and hosts
AHN matches each student with a host family near the student’s school. The host will provide the student with a private bedroom, an agreed upon meal plan, and will assist the student in learning the local customs and transportation systems, as well as help the student become acquainted with the American way of life. Many students enjoy activities with their local family and become life-long friends.
Note: This agency is included to assist you in finding housing and is a partner with Seminole State College.
- Sessions begin at 9 a.m. in building B, room 234 on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus (100 Weldon Blvd., Sanford).
- You must bring your passport, I-94 and I-20 to the orientation/testing.
|Term||Application by||Orientation / Testing||Tuition|
|Fall 2019 Aug. 20 - Dec. 19|
(18-20 hours per week)
|July 1, 2019||Aug. 15, 2019||$2,800**|
|Spring 2020 Jan. 8- Apr. 30|
(18-20 hours per week)
|November 1, 2019||Jan. 6, 2019||$2,800**|
|Summer 2020 May 11- Aug. 5|
(18-20 hours per week)
|April 1, 2020||May 7, 2020||$2,800**|
** Please note: U.S Dollars. This schedule and the posted tuition prices are subject to change.
- Miscellaneous fees less than $100 are due at the time of registration.
- Students are required to purchase their own books (approximately $100-$350 per term).
- Health insurance is required prior to enrollment at Seminole State. Visit insuranceforstudents.com for more information.
Please contact the English Language Institute prior to your arrival to confirm your information.
Review the Application Checklist for English Language Institute Students, and submit the required documents to complete your Seminole State College application.