Disability Support

Department of Veterans Affairs Disability Ratings

As a Veteran awarded a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability rating, you have the option to utilize Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) services. This may be a viable option for you to use while pursuing a college degree. You may be eligible to receive job training, resume developement, employment assistance and many other services. Veterans are highly encourage to learm about VR&E prior to selecting and studying coursework that leads a particular career path. For additonal information, or to apply for VR&E, visit the Vocational Rehabilition website.

Registering with Disability Support Services (DSS)

Registering with the DSS office is an important step to take before registering for classes. While disability evaluations and documentation by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) may be helpful when seeking academic adjustments, it is important to note that the standards used by the military in determiining disability for the purpose of separation and benefits are different from the standards set by the Americans with Disabilities Act. Examples of academic adjustments may include:

  • Tutoring
  • Extended time on exams
  • Help from notetakers

When requesting an academic accomodation, please keep in mind that a VA disability in itself does not automatically justify the need to receive academic accommodations. In most cases, a request for accommodations will need to be supported with medical documentation explaining how the disability affects your learning and other major life activities related to the postsecondary educational setting. 

To learn more about Disability Support Services at Seminole State College, or to register, please review DSS documentation guidelines and steps to register.


Office of Veteran Student Services
Fax: 407.708.2564
Sanford/Lake Mary Campus:  Student Center (SC), Room 266 - 2nd Floor