GEM Information Page for SSC Faculty/Staff
Seminole State is a General Education Mobile Partner School
Seminole State College has partnered with the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) General Education Mobile (GEM).
This partnership allows Air Force and Space Force CCAF students to earn general education courses online. That is 15 of the 64 credits needed for a CCAF AAS degree online from Seminole State.
These students will be transient students; however, they will not be able to produce a letter of good standing. An Air or Space service member must successfully complete their training with a “C” or better or they will be discharged. Their continued service shows they are in good standing with CCAF.
Most, if not all, of our CCAF students will be paying by federal Tuition Assistance (TA). We need to administer a scholarship program for active duty to cover the fees that TA won’t pay and possibly the cost of books. (Note: There are some schools that include books in a flat rate tuition, so there are no out-of-pocket costs to the student.)
Seminole State Courses Approved as GEM courses
A complete list of courses is on the CCAF GEM landing page.
Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding
Seminole State has signed the DOD MOU, which allows us to accept Tuition Assistance. As a part of this MOU we have affirmed the following:
- Have a signed Voluntary Education Partnership MOU with DoD (contained as an enclosure to DoDI 1322.25).
- Are in compliance with state requirements and laws.
- Are state-approved for the use of veterans’ education benefits (post-9/11 GI Bill).
- Are certified to participate in federal student aid programs through the Department of Education.
- Are accredited by a national or regional accrediting body recognized by the Department of Education and conduct programs that support degree programs from that institution.
If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Lee Hunt, email@example.com.
Glossary of Acronyms
- AF = Air Force
- AFB = Air Force Base
- AFSC = Air Force Specialty Code (Job in the AF)
- AU-ABC = Air University Associate to Baccalaureate Cooperative
- BMT = Basic Military Training
- CCAF= Community College of the Air Force
- CLEP = College-Level Examination Program
- DANTES = Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support
- DSST = Nationally recognized Credit-by-Exam Program gives students the opportunity to get college credit for learning acquired outside the traditional classroom
- DOD MOU = Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding
- GEM = General Education Mobile
- LMMS = Leadership, Management and Military Studies
- TDY = "Temporary Duty Yonder" or a temporary job assignment somewhere other than the normal place of work.
- PCS = Permanent Change of Station or getting assigned to another base