What VA benefit program am I eligible for?

The  requirements for each VA education benefit or GI Bill® program are described below.  Though a PDF of each form is available, the VA requires the forms be completed online on the US Department of Veterans Affairs website.

For more information about education benefits offered by VA, visit www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.  GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Please note: You must be formally admitted to Seminole State College and accepted to an approved program of study before you can receive VA education benefits.

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB-AD)

This program provides up to 36 months of education benefits to veterans who entered active duty for the first time after July 1, 1985, served a minimum of two years, and received an honorable discharge. 

For more information, visit the Montgomery Bill benefits page.

Chapter 31: Vocational Readiness and Employment (VR&E) Program

This program is intended to help veterans with service-connected disabilities obtain and maintain employment (requires a service-connected disability rating). Participants receive payment for required tuition and fees as well as a monthly subsistence allowance. 

For more information, visit the VR&E benefits page.

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill®

This program provides 36 months of financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after Sept. 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. Veterans must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible. 

This is the only Chapter GI Bill® that is transferable from sponsor to dependent; however, this must be accomplished at least 4 years prior to separation.

For more information, visit the Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits page.

Chapter 35: Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

This program provides up to 45 months of education benefits (See note) for surviving spouses and children of veterans who suffered a service-connected death or are 100 percent permanently disabled due to a service-connected cause. 

Note: If you began using this program to pay for your school or training before August 1, 2018, you can get benefits for up to 45 months. If you began using the program on or after August 1, 2018, you can get benefits for up to 36 months.

If you're receiving DEA, Chapter 35,  benefits and are enrolled in a non-college degree program, you can verify your attendance by calling 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551), or by using “Ask a Question”.

If you're receiving DEA, Chapter 35, benefits and enrolled in a college degree program, you don't need to verify your attendance.

For more information, visit the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program benefits page.

Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

This program provides benefits for current members of the Reserve or National Guard who enlisted, re-enlisted or extended their enlistment for a period of six years. 

For more information, visit the MGIB-SR benefits page.

Educational Dollars for Duty

This educational funding is for Florida National Guard soldiers and airmen. The Educational Dollars for Duty (EDD) program provides up to 100% public tuition for the period of the Guard member's service once he or she becomes eligible, and as long as funding is available. Funds can be used toward a college credit certificate, associates, baccalaureate or master's degree. Unlike Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA), EDD pays the entire semester hour rate for tuition at all accredited learning institutions with "brick and mortar" locations in Florida. 

For more information on the EDD program and requirement information visit the Florida National Guard website, please contact the State Education Program Administrator at (904) 823-0339 or ng.fl.flarng.list.ngfl-edd-office@mail.mil.

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

This program amends the Post-9/11 GI Bill® to include the children and spouses of fallen U.S. soldiers who died in the line of duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001. Eligible dependents attending school may receive up to the highest public, in-state, undergraduate tuition and fees, plus a monthly stipend for living expenses, books and supplies, for up to 36 months. They may use the benefit between the ages of 18 and 33. 

For more information, visit the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship benefits page.


The MyCAA Scholarship is a Department of Defense initiative designed exclusively for military spouses. It's your ticket to financial support, enabling you to pursue education and training programs that align with your career goals.

For more information, visit the MyCAA Scholarship page.

Required Documentation

  • Copy of DD Form 214: Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. (Not applicable to dependents using VA benefits or active duty)
  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA or a Statement of Benefits from VA.gov (Chapters 30, 33, 35)
  • A PO number from your VA Vocational Readiness & Employment Case Manager (Chapter 31)
  • DD Form 2384-1: Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) issued from the student’s guard/reserve unit (Chapter 1606).
  • Seminole State College Certification Request Form


Office of Veteran Student Services
Fax: 407.708.2564
Sanford/Lake Mary Campus:  Student Center (SC), Room 266 - 2nd Floor