Emergency Response Plan
Safety and Security Dispatcher is alerted via fire alarm, ext. 2178 or 911 call.
- Identify caller and if possible, identify person who triggered alarm.
- Alert Emergency First Responders.
- Dispatch officers to the site. Officers at site assess situation, secure building, ensure evacuation (if needed), establish perimeter, control crowd, and summon medical assistance if necessary.
- Direct responders to site and remove traffic bollards, if necessary.
- Alert appropriate departments.
- Answer/refer incoming calls.
- If an evacuation is called for: Check restrooms, store rooms, etc. to verify that everyone received word to evacuate.
- Secure utilities, as necessary.
- Provide Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning support, as necessary.
- Coordinate clean up of damaged facility.
- Assess structural damage.
- Post signage at emergency site to inform faculty/staff/students.
- Provide HAZMAT information.
- Complete damage assessment.
- Coordinate with state or municipal Building/Life Safety Inspectors to assure facility is safe to reoccupy.
Marketing and Communications
- Alert appropriate top administrators.
- Issue immediate statement acknowledging that the college is aware of the incident and is investigating, more information will be released to the news media and the public as it becomes available.
- Alert appropriate college departments.
- Provide information to news media, and serve as information hub.
- Identify a media center where information will be disseminated to the news media, news conference conducted and general coordination takes place. Pre-identify appropriate sites on campus for satellite and microwave live trucks if dispatched from news services.
- Disseminate administrative decisions regarding the emergency.
- Establish telephone information hotline and updates as needed.
- Appoint a spokesperson for the incident.
Emergency Management Planning Team
- Review situation assessments and updates as they become available.
- Authorize relocation or cancellation of classes, if necessary.
- Authorize relocation or closing of staff offices, if necessary.
- Coordinate initial meeting - team leader.
- Respond to administrative decision to cancel/relocate classes and other activities.
Facility users/building occupants
- If directed to do so by Safety and Security or members of Emergency Management Team, evacuate building and move to Emergency Meeting Area for affected Building.