1. Whenever the fire alarms/strobes are activated, occupants must evacuate the building and reassemble at the designated location(s). Occupants on floors above the ground floor must use emergency exit stairwells to leave the building.
Do not use elevators!
2. For certain emergencies such as a bomb threat, the fire alarms/strobes may not be used. Instead, authorized emergency response officials will move through the building and order the occupants to evacuate. Faculty and staff members do not initiate building evacuations. However, under certain circumstances, they may be authorized to announce the evacuation in their assigned areas.
3. Emergency evacuation signage is posted in buildings so that occupants can become familiar with the evacuation routes for their area.
4. Faculty members are responsible for assisting and directing building occupants in assigned areas to the fire exit stairwell and confirming that all occupants have evacuated the areas. The faculty members will report to an authorized emergency responder that their area is clear. Authorized emergency responders are uniformed police officers, members of the fire department or Seminole State emergency response officials. Try to remain calm, and give clear evacuation instructions.
5. Faculty members are responsible for working with the Department of Disability Support Services and with departmental chairs and directors to identify any Seminole State students with a disability who would need consideration and assistance during an evacuation. At least two staff members should be assigned to each person with an identified disability, ensuring that the disabled person will be assisted during the evacuation. Should the disabled person not be able to use the fire exit stairwells, he or she must be escorted to the exit stairwell landing as a "Safe Area of Rescue." The escort should remain with the disabled person at the landing to provide additional assistance. The faculty member will inform an authorized emergency responder that a disabled person is waiting for rescue on the specified floor within the exit stairwell.
6. Specific Procedures for Assisting Disabled Individuals:
Sample Script: "FIRE! Go out the rear door to the right and down. NOW. Meet on front lawn."
In emergency evacuations, these individuals should be treated as if they are injured. Have the individual sit on a sturdy chair (preferably a chair with arms), and follow the procedure for non-ambulatory persons listed in the next section.
Most non-ambulatory persons will be able to exit safely without assistance if they are on the ground floor. For floors above the ground level, needs and preferences will vary. Always consult the person as to his/her preferences regarding: