Policies Pertaining to Military Students

No High-Pressure Recruitment

Veterans, service members, and dependents are not subject to high pressure recruitment tactics at Seminole State College. No employee at Seminole State College receives commission, bonuses, or incentives for securing enrollments for any students, particularly veterans or service members. 

If you feel pressured to enroll or experience any difficulties in the enrollment process, please contact the Seminole County Veterans Service Office (407.665.2300) or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (888.442.4551).

No Holds due to VA Late Payments

For Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) students and VA Vocational Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31-VR&E) students, our tuition policy complies with 38 USC 3679(e) which means Post 9/11 and Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment students will not be charged or otherwise penalized due to a delay in VA tuition and fee payments. 

Certificate of Eligibility (COE) Required for VA Enrollment Certification

For eligibility consideration, a Post 9/11 GI Bill® student must submit a VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and a Vocational Rehabilitation Student must provide a PO. Please see 38 USC 3679(e) for complete details.

COE's must be turned into Seminole State College's Office of Veteran Student Services by either dropping by in-person, located in the Student Services Building (second floor, Student Life Suite) on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus or emailing it to vabenefits@seminolestate.edu.

Unearned Tuition Assistance (TA) Funds Return

Seminole State is fully compliant with all requirements for administering, disbursing, managing and refunding Title IV and Tuition Assistance (TA) funding.

Military TA is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. Military TA is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To comply with the U.S. Department of Defense policy, Seminole State returns any unearned TA funds on a proportional basis through at least 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. If a service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, Seminole State will work with the affected service member to identify solutions that will not result in a student debt for the returned portion.

When a student earning TA benefits withdraws from classes, a student’s official withdrawal date is defined as the last date of attendance and is the basis to calculate earned percentage of TA. A student’s official withdrawal date is determined by using the last date of attendance reported by the class instructor and is documented and submitted to the Office of the Registrar.  Once the last date of attendance is determined, Seminole State recalculates the student’s TA eligibility based on the following formula:

(Number of days completed) / (Total days of course (start to end date)) = Percent of TA earned

The amount of TA funding earned is determined on a pro-rata basis. For example, if a student completed 30% of the course, the student earned 30% of TA funds the student was originally scheduled to receive. The remainder of unearned funds (70%) would be returned to the TA program. If this results in an unpaid tuition balance, payment would be the responsibility of the student. Once a student has attended at least 60% of the period for which TA funds were approved, the student is considered to have earned 100% of the TA funds.

The return policy is spelled out on the College website: https://www.seminolestate.edu/financial-aid/guidelines/withdrawing 

Standards of Academic Progress

Students using Veteran Affairs educational benefits will adhere to the college's Standards of Academic Progress.


Office of Veteran Student Services
Fax: 407.708.2564
Sanford/Lake Mary Campus:  Student Center (SC), Room 266 - 2nd Floor