The Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE)
The TABE is a placement exam used to assess students' skills in English, math and reading. Your score on the TABE will not prohibit you from entering a specific program. TABE scores simply tell Seminole State what your strengths and weaknesses are and allow us to help you complete your program successfully.
Depending on your course of study, the TABE helps Seminole State decide:
- If you can enter a non-credit program without reserve.
- The program level at which you should be placed (beginner, intermediate or advanced).
- If you need to use Seminole State's support services at the STAR Center.
- If you need to temporarily delay beginning a program while you acquire skills in one or more areas.
You must meet your program's required scores in all three sections of the TABE test by the time you complete your coursework in order to earn a degree or diploma. Additionally, by taking the TABE, you meet state entry requirements for:
- Non-college-credit career programs
- Adult Basic Education programs
- The GED Online preparation program
- Adult High School
If you are entering a career program that requires acceptable TABE scores and you meet certain other criteria, you may be able to request a TABE exemption. Check the back of the form for more information, or call the Testing Office at 407.708.2020.
Florida law requires you to pass all three sections of the TABE to be:
- Admitted without reserve (admitted without conditions) to the program of your choice. If you do not meet your program's requirements, you may still be able to begin the program under certain conditions.
- Awarded a diploma or certificate of completion.
In most cases, you can still enter a non-credit program if you agree to use Seminole State's support services. To improve your knowledge and skills, you may be required to spend a certain number of hours each week in the College's STAR Center.
The STAR Center staff:
- Uses materials from your course of study to help you improve your English, math and reading skills.
- Helps you succeed in your course of study.
- Prepares you to pass the TABE.
If you are unsuccessful in one part of the TABE, you are only required to retake that particular section of the exam. For example, if you pass English and reading but do not pass math, you only have to retake the math portion.
There are exceptions to this rule. Check with your Seminole State counselor or the Assessment and Testing Center for more information.
If you haven't completed the TABE, you can take it at Seminole State. Contact the Assessment and Testing Center at 407.708.2020 for more information.
- TABE Survey Form (non-Seminole State students): $25*
- Complete Test Battery (non-Seminole State students): $60*
- TABE Retakes (non-Seminole State students): $25*
* Prices are subject to change without notice.
The TABE is administered on a walk-in basis on any Seminole State campus. Choose your preferred testing location below for exam hours.
The test includes reading, language, and math sub-tests. We suggest that students take one sub-test per day.
- Reading sub-test: two sections- 100 minutes
- Language sub-test: one section- 55 minutes
- Math sub-test: two sections- 65 minutes
TABE stands for Test of Adult Basic Education. The test includes reading, language, and math subtests. We suggest that students take one subtest per day.
- Reading subtest: two sections- 100 minutes
- Language subtest: one section- 55 minutes
- Math subtest: two sections- 65 minutes
For more information about the TABE:
- Speak with your Seminole State counselor.
- Call the Assessment and Testing Center at 407.708.2020.
- Review the Florida Department of Education's TABE Study Guide.
TABE Online Training Tools
Students who plan to take the TABE test can visit https://tabetest.com/resources-2/testing-information/tabe-1112-practice/ for practice tests.
Examination Day Reminders
- Prior to taking any examination, you will need to present a current, valid and original photo ID with a signature (e.g., passport, driver’s license or state-issued ID card).
- If your photo ID does not include a signature, a second ID is required with your name and signature (e.g., Social Security card, voter registration card, credit card or debit card).
- The TABE is administered on a computer. Paper and pencil will be provided for the math portion, so you can work out your answers.