Allied Health Professional Liability Student Insurance
The intent of the Allied Health Professional Liability Student Insurance policy is to provide coverage for allied health students for any act or omission in the furnishing of professional healthcare services to a patient or client, including any injuries sustained by a fellow student in the practice of activities that are included in and a requirement of the students' curriculum.
The program provides professional liability (malpractice) coverage for allied health students who are pursuing a degree or certificate in a healthcare profession that will lead to licensure or certification to provide some form of healthcare to the public.
Who is Covered
Students in Allied Health and Sciences Courses
Students enrolled in allied health and sciences courses at Seminole State are defined as named insureds on the policy, but only while they are participating in activities that are part of and a requirement of the students' curriculum at the College. The policy is a blanket policy for those enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree or certificate in a healthcare profession (nursing, physical therapist assistant, etc.). It covers all course work as long as it is required by the program curriculum.
Faculty members who teach these courses and Seminole State itself are also defined as insureds, but solely with respect to claims arising out of the supervision and instruction of students insured under the provisions of the policy.
Please note: Faculty and College coverage are limited to the supervision and instruction of students only. The policy does not provide coverage for faculty members' malpractice. This program requires faculty members to be licensed by the state of Florida and to carry their own professional malpractice coverage.
Who Should Consider Coverage
- Students enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree or certificate in a healthcare profession who will be providing healthcare services to a patient or clinic under the direction of a Seminole State faculty member as part of the program curriculum
- Students enrolled in a continuing education course in the healthcare profession who will be providing healthcare services to a patient or clinic under the direction of a Seminole State faculty member as part of the course curriculum
Who Does Not Need Coverage
- Students who do not and will not provide hands-on healthcare services to members of the public, such as those enrolled in a CPR course that uses classroom mannequins for practice
- Do not admit to liability or advise anyone that you will take care of the matter. Instead, advise the injured person and any other affected parties that you have turned the matter over to the insurance carrier for handling.
- Keep records and documentation of exactly what happened. Get the name, address and phone number of any witnesses.
- Complete an Allied Health Incident Report.
- Complete an Accident-Incident Report.
Note: This form is a sample. An original Accident-Incident Report can be obtained by calling Safety & Security at:
- Altamonte Springs Campus: 407.404.6100
- Heathrow Campus: 407.708.4410
- Oviedo Campus: 407.971.5020
- Sanford/Lake Mary Campus: 407.708.2178
For additional policy details, please download the Allied Health Certificate of Insurance.