Transition to College

The transition from High School to College can be a complex amount of information for students and parents.  Here is a breakdown of some of the differences that separate the high school atmosphere and the college atmosphere:

Public High SchoolCollege

Free and Appropriate Education (FAPE) is guaranteed by law.

The law does not guarantee admission to a college or university.

School is obligated to seek out and identify students with disabilities.

The student is responsible for locating the disability services office and inquiring about how to receive services.

Obligation to evaluate students with disabilities.

No obligation to evaluate students with disabilities.

Must alter course content or evaluation system if necessary.

No obligation to alter content of courses or evaluation system. 

Students get support in budgeting their time and planning their schoolwork.

Students are responsible for budgeting, time management, and planning or course work.

Student progress is monitored by school staff.

Student progress is self-monitored

School will seek out students to provide accommodations.

Student must self-identify and self-advocate to receive accommodations.

The Individual Education Plan (IEP) is mandated and followed.

There are no Individual Education Plans (IEPs) at the college level.

Accommodations are automatic year after year

Student must request accommodations every semester for every class in order to receive it 


General Information
Sanford/Lake Mary - 407.708.2110
Altamonte Springs - 407.404.6005
Oviedo - 407.971.5114