Documenting the Presence of a Disability

To receive services through Disability Support Services (DSS), all students must submit appropriate documentation of a disability. Students with sensory, physical or other health impairments must provide written documentation in the form of medical reports or a letter from a physician detailing the disability. Documentation should contain professionally recommended academic accommodations. Such documentation must be provided, even if the condition is temporary (e.g. broken leg, dislocated shoulder).

Students with specific learning disabilities (SLD) and/or ADD/ADHD must provide current documentation of the diagnosis.

Confidentiality of records is required by law and maintained within Disability Support Services. DSS may only disclose the specific nature of a student's disability upon written release from that student.

Guidelines and Forms

The following guidelines and forms are to be used for documenting a disability and/or releasing confidential information.

Documentation Guidelines and Requirements

Disability Support Services will keep your disability-related documentation on file for five years after your graduation and/or last enrollment. After five years without enrollment or academic activity, your disability documentation will be destroyed.

If you plan to transfer to another college or university, please contact their disability service provider for policies and procedures. You must meet the transfer institution's guidelines to receive accommodation.

Release Forms

If you would like to receive a copy of your disability documentation, please contact us at 407.708.2110, or email

All DSS services are provided at no expense to the student and are based upon the individual student's needs. The responsibility for determining a student's eligibility for services rests with the DSS staff.


General Information
Sanford/Lake Mary - 407.708.2110
Altamonte Springs - 407.404.6005
Oviedo - 407.971.5114