Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Associate in Science
Getting Started: Summer Full and
March 14: Financial Aid
May 2: Application
May 9: Classes Begin
Why Seminole State?
- Affordable tuition: Earn a state university education at about half the cost.
- Small class sizes: With classes of 30 or less, you don’t have to learn in an auditorium.
- Online degree option: Most courses for our A.S. degrees are offered in person and online, so you can study when and where you want.
- Seamless transition: Most A.S. graduates earn credits that can be applied to a bachelor's degree at Seminole State or at the University of Central Florida through DirectConnect® to UCF.*
- Job Placement: According to state data, most Seminole State A.S. programs have placement rates above 90 percent.
*A.S. students who are planning to transfer to bachelor's degree programs should meet with a counselor, advisor or specialist to make sure the required courses are taken and the entry requirements are met.
- Cheryl Knodel
Your tuition shouldn’t go against your intuition.
Your pursuit of higher education is admirable. So why struggle with high tuition in the process? Here we make life’s next steps affordable. Whether you’re seeking a university transfer (A.A.) degree, a four-year bachelor’s, an Associate in Science degree or even earning a technical certificate, you’ll find reasonable tuition and great value. And to us, that’s scholarly.
In fact, a full-time college education at Seminole State is more than $10,000 less each year than most state universities.
Go For Less.
Tuition and Fee Comparison*
|Tuition and Fees||$3,131||$6,380||$6,538||$6,379|
|Room and Board||-0-||$10,400||$11,472||$10,300|
|Books and Supplies||$1,000||$810||$1,000||$1,200|
For more information on Seminole State's tuition and fees, please see the 2021-22 fee schedule.
* Tuition costs are based on Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 terms, with 15 credit hours per term for in-state students. Dorm fees, meal plans and book expenses are estimates based on information provided on each university's website. Lab fees and other fees that may be assessed at the time of registration may be viewed in the College fee schedule. As Seminole State is a commuter college with no residence halls on its campuses, costs for room and board are not calculated.
In the exciting and growing field of CADD, drafting and design technicians use software to convert the designs of engineers and architects into technical drawings and plans. Job opportunities are strong. They are an essential component in the design team. Workers in production and construction use these plans to build everything from microchips to skyscrapers. Industry needs are great. Developments in new technology are causing entry-level requirements to rise. An associate’s degree is the typical level of education needed to enter the occupation. Drafting and design technicians need skills from academic programs so that they may move into the work of designing directly for professionals, such as engineers and architects. For students who seek a career in a solid and growing field, CADD is a great choice.
Graduates of this program have a number of employment options such as:
- Advertising, public relations, and related services
- Building Drafter
- Civil Computer-Aided Design and Drafting Technician
- Manufacturing Drafter
- Structural Drafter
For career information related to this program, please visit O*Net OnLine.
Employment in this field is expected to grow by 6 percent from now until 2020 (Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics). Developments in software programs used by drafters and other professionals they work with are changing the nature of drafters’ work and how this work will have to be done.
College Credit Certificates
Students may complete the following college credit certificates as part of the Computer-Aided Drafting and Design degree:
- Advanced Computer-Aided Design Certificate
- Building Construction Technology Technical Certificate
- Computer-Aided Design Technical Certificate
- Sustainability Technical Certificate
The following industry certifications are related to the training in the A.S. Degree Computer Aided Drafting and Design program:
- Autodesk Certified Associate – AutoCAD, (ADESK016)
- Autodesk Certified Professional – AutoCAD, (ADESK021)
- Autodesk Certified User – AutoCAD, (ADESK002)
Additional industry certifications may be available for college credit certificate programs.