The CASAS exam is intended for students whose native language is not English. It measures students' English skills in:
Who Should Take the CASAS Test?
The state of Florida requires students to take admissions or placement tests before entering a program. The test you take depends on the program you wish to enter. The CASAS meets the state's requirements for students entering an English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program. You should take the test if you are entering the ESOL Program as a U.S. citizen or resident alien.
CASAS is not an admissions test.
You do not have to earn a certain score to enroll in the ESOL Program.
Seminole State uses your CASAS score to:
- Assess your English skills, which will reveal the program level at which you should begin your studies. Beginning at the right level is critical for successfully learning English.
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses. At Seminole State, we want you to succeed. By knowing what areas you need help in, your instructors can work with you more effectively to improve your skills.
What Should I Do If I Haven't Taken the CASAS?
You can take the CASAS exam year-round on any Seminole State campus. Please click your preferred testing location for exam hours:
Examination Day Reminders
- Prior to taking any examination, you will need to present a current, valid and original photo ID with a signature (e.g., passport, driver’s license or state-issued ID card).
- If your photo ID does not include a signature, a second ID is required with your name and signature (e.g., Social Security card, voter registration card, credit card or debit card).
- Placement testing is administered on a computer. Paper and pencil will be provided for the math portion so you can work out your answers.
How Can I Learn More About the CASAS?
For more information on the CASAS exam, speak with a Seminole State academic counselor or call Seminole State's ESOL Student Services Department at:
- Altamonte Springs Campus: 407.404.6002
- Oviedo Campus: 407.971.5016
- Sanford/Lake Mary Campus: 407.708.2420