The ACT Test
The ACT assesses your skills in:
- Science reasoning
As a new Seminole State student, you may be required or opt to take a placement test. If you do not have test scores on file, you may take the Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT), which is used to assess your comprehension in reading, writing and mathematics skills and determine your course placement. The test is offered at the Assessment and Testing Office on any SeminoleState campus. PERT practice test are available at the Department of Education PERT page.
What Should I Do if I Haven't Taken the ACT?
Seminole State is a national ACT testing center, offering the exam four times per year.
- To take the ACT, you must register in advance on the ACT website or in any high school guidance office.
- You may opt to take the SAT or PERT. All of these exams meet the state of Florida's requirements for entering a college-credit program.
I've Already Taken the ACT
You are responsible for ensuring that Seminole State receives your official ACT scores. To be valid, scores must be received directly from the test publisher in a sealed envelope or electronically. Please visit the ACT website to request a copy of your scores. Seminole State will not accept unofficial copies of your ACT scores or scores listed on your high school transcript.
If Seminole State does not receive your placement scores before your advisement appointment, you will be required to take a placement test (PERT).
- If your placement scores arrive during the add/drop period, you may drop any English or mathematics courses you registered for based on your PERT results and replace them with courses based on the new scores (pending course availability).
- If your placement scores arrive after the add/drop period but before the withdrawal deadline, you may withdraw from any English or mathematics courses you registered for based on your PERT results and use the new scores to enroll in courses for the subsequent term. Seminole State will not refund the cost of courses from which you withdraw.
If you have trouble locating and/or requesting your official ACT test scores:
- Contact the facility at which you took the ACT.
- Speak with Seminole State's Admissions Office at 407.708.2050 for information about obtaining your official ACT records.
- Visit the ACT website or call 319.337.1313.
Use the table below for help interpreting your ACT scores.
|Score||ACT Test Results/Course Placement|
|19 - 20**|
|21 - 22|
* ACCUPLACER or PERT exemption and subsequent enrollment in ENC 1101: English I requires ACT scores of 17 or above in English and 19 or above in Reading.
** It is strongly recommended that students whose ACT mathematics score falls in the 19-21 range take the PERT for appropriate course placement.
*** Students who enroll in MAC 1105: College Algebra and plan to advance to MAC 2311: Analytic Geometry and Calculus I will follow a predetermined course sequence:
- MAC 1105: College Algebra
- MAC 1140: Precalculus Algebra
- MAC 1114: Trigonometry
- MAC 2311: Analytic Geometry and Calculus I
Please note: Precalculus, trigonometry and calculus courses are rigorous. Students are encouraged to meet with Tommy Minton, associate dean of mathematics, to discuss course requirements prior to the start of classes. To set up a meeting, email email@example.com or call 407.708.2252.