Correctional Officer Certificate: Course Overviews
The following courses are required for the Correctional Officer Certificate. For more information, please refer to the curriculum.
- First Aid for Criminal Justice Officers (CJK 0031): This course will better prepare prospective officers to apply all applicable First Responder knowledge and techniques to emergency situations. Lab fee required.
- Firearms (CJK 0040): This course is designed to give the student basic skills and knowledge needed to operate a firearm safely. Lab fee required.
- Criminal Justice Defensive Tactics (CJK 0051): This course provides physical skills training to basic recruits covering the use of force in controlling subjects and for self-defense. Although there is some classroom instruction, most of this course is physical training. Lab fee required.
- Introduction to Corrections (CJK 0300): This course provides students with an overview of the correctional officer training program and the requirements for becoming a certified officer. It also provides instruction on basic criminal justice values, ethics, and a foundational knowledge of the law and the ability to apply that law to specific incidents.
- Communications (CJK 0305): This course provides students with practical communication skills for managing and supervising inmates, giving directions, answering questions, and interacting with others in a professional and safe manner. The course includes interpersonal communication, telecommunications, interviewing, note taking, and report writing.
- Officer Safety (CJK 0310): This course provides students with an overview of officer safety and security concerns, identification, manipulation and deception, contraband, and searches.
- Facility and Equipment (CJK 0315): This course provides students with an overview and basic knowledge of standard equipment and materials used to keep correctional facilities clean, safe, and secure. Students will also learn to identify common problems found when managing equipment.
- Intake and Release (CJK 0320): This course provides students with an overview of the various intake, classification, and release processes used by county and state facilities.
- Supervising in a Correctional Facility (CJK 0325): This course provides students with an overview of the role of the correctional officer in the care, custody, and control of inmates. Students will also learn the importance of developing supervisory and observational skills, practicing officer safety, and following policies and procedures to ensure the safe operation of the correctional facility.
- Supervising Special Populations (CJK 0300): This course provides students with an awareness of special populations and the appropriate responses when interacting with and supervising a variety of individuals that have been grouped together.
- Responding to Incidents and Emergencies (CJK 0335): This course provides students with an awareness and ability to apply knowledge, training and reasonable judgment to ensure the safety and security of all persons at the facility during an emergency.
- Officer Wellness and Physical Abilities (CJK 0340): This course is designed to prepare students to perform the physical duties as a correctional officer through the implementation of a physical fitness training plan and a nutritional component.