Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP)
If you are a Seminole State College student with a disability, you are welcome to participate in our annual Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP), sponsored by the federal government. This program provides an opportunity for eligible students and graduates to be interviewed by a federal recruiter for internships, co-ops, or even permanent employment.
Who is Eligible to Participate in WRP?
An applicant for the program must:
- Have a substantial disability
- Be a United States citizen
- Be enrolled in an accredited institution of higher learning on a substantially full-time basis (unless the severity of the disability precludes the student from taking a substantially full-time course load) to seek a degree
- Be enrolled in such an institution as a degree-seeking student taking less than a substantially full-time course load in the enrollment period immediately preceding graduation
- Have graduated from such an institution within the past year
Benefits to College Students
With the Workforce Recruitment Program, students can:
- Promote their skills and abilities, as well as connect with employers across the United States
- Communicate with a WRP recruiter in a one-to-one meeting to discuss opportunities and refine their interviewing skills
- Earn additional experience and expand their network of contacts while on the job
- Demonstrate that students with disabilities can make fantastic employees
How Does the Program Work?
- July: Recruitment of WRP candidates at Seminole State begins.
- August-September: Individual candidates work with the Seminole State Career Center staff to complete the WRP Student Checklist items.
- Please note: Students interested in becoming WRP candidates should be able to participate in employability skills trainings, attend a mandatory WRP meeting, participate in a mock interview, and complete the forms required to meet with the WRP recruiter. The career center staff will support each student in completing these items.
- September: Any candidate who completes the WRP Student Checklist items becomes eligible to receive an interview appointment time with the WRP recruiter. Each student must schedule a one-on-one meeting with a career center staff member.
- October: The annual WRP recruitment visit at Seminole State takes place. The visit includes a 30-minute personal interview with the WRP recruiter.
- November-December: Information gathered by the WRP recruiter is inserted into a database and made available to public- and private-sector employers for review.
- January-May: Interested employers can connect with students directly to share their temporary or permanent job opportunities. Once activated, the database containing student information is available for up to one year. WRP candidates who participate in this program are welcome to participate again the following year.
Past WRP candidates share what they learned from this experience:
- "Having a disability does not hinder you from employment."
- "There are people that are still willing to help the disabled find job placement."
For specific details about the Workforce Recruitment Program as it relates to Seminole State, or to express your interest in becoming a WRP candidate, please contact the Career Center at 407.708.2033.
For more information about the Workforce Recruitment Program, visit the following links: