If you plan on taking an exam on Saturdays* or after 6 p.m. on weeknights, and the exam requires payment, testing fees must be paid by credit card, money order or check.
*Saturday testing is available only in building A (room 176) on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus.
Retaking the PERT
To be eligible to retake the PERT, Seminole State students must refresh their skills.
- In compliance with State Board Rule 6A-10.0315, students may take the PERT only three times at the college level.
- Between the initial PERT and the PERT retake(s), each student must complete a remediation program.
- Acceptable remediation shall be a diagnostic exam plus an internet-based remediation for the deficient skills found via the diagnostic exam.
Steps to Retake the PERT
Students should follow these easy steps to complete the state requirement.
- Step 1 - Request Diagnostic Exam. Go to the testing office and request the diagnostic exam. The testing specialist will set the $16.50 cost of the diagnostic exam plus 10-week access to the online remediation program, MyFoundationsLab (MFL).
- Step 2 - Pay Diagnostic Exam Fee. Go to the Seminole State Cashiers Office and pay the testing fee.
- Step 3 - Take Diagnostic Exam. Please do not be late for your exam. Arrive at least 2 1/2 hours before closing (please check the Testing Center's hours).To take the total exam, please allow approximately two (2) hours.
- Step 4 - Receive your test results and learn how to access MyFoundationsLab from the testing specialist. Based on each student's skill deficiency as shown by the diagnostic tests, the MyFoundations Lab will provide instructions about the specific skill and practice exams to check mastery; however, please use the "MFL Mastery Planner" to set testing goals.
- Step 5 - Locate a computer for the MFL remediation. You may use computers at specified campus locations or access the remediation program from home.
- Step 6 - Take the Mastery Quiz. After proficiency is attained through the practice exams, students must complete the MFL Mastery Quiz and score 70% to be eligible to retake the PERT. Students may NOT retake the PERT without scoring 70% on the MFL Mastery Quiz. The Testing Specialist will electronically check your MFL record to determine the percent correct (“70%”) on the appropriate MFL Mastery Quiz” before allowing you to retake the PERT.
- Step 7 - Pay for the PERT retest. Although the initial PERT is free, the retest cost is $10. Please visit the testing location at which you plan to take the exam and request that the testing specialist set your fee. To pay this fee, please follow the instructions in Step 2 (above). The cost to retake the PERT is $10 per testing session (whether you take one  or three  subtest, the cost remains at $10.00.)
- Students may only take the PERT three (3) times at the college level within a two-year period and must refresh before each attempt.
- Students who have withdrawn from a course MUST go through the PERT Refresh Program (diagnostic and MyFoundations Lab).
- Before Testing: Take time to study concepts previously learned in arithmetic, reading comprehension and sentence skills. Visit the PERT Test Resources PERT Student Study Guide.
PERT Exam Scores
After you have completed the PERT, contact Academic Advising and Counseling for score interpretation. Your advisor will help you interpret your test scores and place you in the appropriate courses.
- Follow up: Complete the online student orientation, and schedule an advising appointment with the Academic Advising and Counseling Department.
- You may go directly to advisement if you have already completed the online orientation.
Examination Day Reminders
- Prior to taking any examination, you will need to present a current, valid and original photo ID with a signature (e.g., passport, driver’s license or state-issued ID card).
- If your photo ID does not include a signature, a second ID is required with your name and signature (e.g., Social Security card, voter registration card, credit card or debit card).
- The PERT is administered on a computer. Paper and pencil will be provided for the math portion so you can work out your answers.