Foreign Language Achievement Testing Services (FLATS)
- * Afrikaans
- Cantonese - Traditional
- Cantonese – Simplified
- Farsi -
- Haitian - Creole
- Ilonggo - Hiligaynon
- Mandarin – Traditional
- Mandarin - Simplified
- *Maori-New Zealand
- Portuguese - Brazilian
- Portuguese – Continental
*These languages are not available for the computerized testing and would require a paper version of the exam to be mailed to the Testing Center (approximately 15 days)
Seminole State College does not award academic credit for the above foreign language achievement examinations.
Passing the proficiency exam may only be used to meet the following graduation requirement:
- The Florida language admissions requirement to all Florida public colleges and universities (Florida Statutes, Section 1007.262) mandates two (2) credits in one (1) foreign language at the secondary level or the equivalent at the postsecondary level for the baccalaureate degree.
- Eight (8) to ten (10) semester credits in one (1) foreign language at the postsecondary level shall be considered to produce the competency specified, or students may show a modern language proficiency (at the intermediate level) equivalent to two years in high school or eight college credits in a single language.
- A standardized examination for modern language may be used to meet the requirement. (Students who have previously received a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution are exempt from this requirement.)
Examinations listed above are provided via correspondence with Brigham Young University (BYU) and administered to students by the Seminole State Assessment and Testing Office.
- Examinations are designed to test beginning-level (e.g., 1101, 1102, and 2101) listening comprehension, reading comprehension, and grammatical accuracy.
- All tests require approximately two and a half hours to complete.
- Please check with your institution to confirm that this assessment fits with your educational plan.
- Seminole State College does not award academic credit for the above foreign language achievement examination. It may only be used to fulfill certain graduation requirements.
- The total cost is $85.00 per exam ($50 to BYU and $35 to Seminole State)
For more information on how to register for the examinations, we have provided instructions on how to take a FLATS Exam.
You may also visit the Assessment and Testing Office at any of our campuses during business hours.
Sanford/Lake Mary Campus
100 Weldon Blvd., SC-Room 239
Sanford, FL 32773
Altamonte Springs Campus
850 S. State Rd 434, ALT-Room 103
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
2505 Lockwood Blvd, Building F-Room 102
Oviedo, FL 32765
1055 AAA Drive, HEA-338, Suite 332
Heathrow, FL 32746