The Communications Office receives all requests for event publicity submitted by Seminole State faculty and staff through the TIM system. Only events hosted by the College or one of its departments/offices will be considered for publication through the following media:
- Collegewide Events Calendar
- Traditional Marquees (requires two-week lead time)
- Digital Signage (requires three-week lead time)
- Electronic Marquees
- Digital Monitors (TVs)
- Event Releases
The collegewide events calendar is published in The Newsroom and MySeminoleState. Select events also are shown on the home page of the Seminole State website. The events calendar includes the following categories:
- Academic Calendar (deadlines and holidays)
- Career Development Center
- Faculty/Staff Events
- Fine Arts
- Student Life
- Workshops (for current students)
The College's traditional (with removable letters) marquees are located on the Oviedo and Sanford/Lake Mary campuses. Events happening on only those campuses will be considered for publication on the traditional marquees. Messages featured on the traditional marquees are designed to build the College's reputation, promote overall student recruitment and retention, and highlight College events that are open to the community. Messages are scheduled one week ahead, so requests must be submitted at least two weeks in advance of your event date.
The College uses two types of digital signage: electronic marquees and digital monitors (TVs). All events on the collegewide events calendar are automatically considered for publication through our digital signage.
- Electronic Marquees
The College's electronic marquees are located on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. Messages featured on the electronic marquees are designed to build the College's reputation, promote overall student recruitment and retention, and highlight College events that are open to the community. Because the electronic marquees require graphics that must be updated or created in advance, requests must be received at least three weeks prior to your event date. When submitting an event for publication on the electronic marquees, please keep the following in mind:
- Events must be promoted in advance and not the day of the event.
- The marquee will not be used to provide directions unless the event is expected to draw more than 1,000 people to campus.
- Due to system limitations and limited staffing, marquee messages are replaced weekly, except under certain circumstances.
- Digital Monitors (TVs)
Each of Seminole State's four campuses contain flatscreen monitors that feature messages that provide relevant information for current and prospective students, and highlight student services and campus events. Because the monitors require graphics that must be updated or created in advance, requests must be received at least three weeks prior to your event date. When submitting an event for publication on the monitors, please keep the following in mind:
- Make sure your request includes all relevant information: the event name, event description, event sponsor or host, date, time, location (including room number and campus), cost of attendance and the intended audience (i.e. open to the public, for current students, for prospective students, etc.).
- Messages will be scheduled weekly for each of the four campuses during the Fall and Spring terms, but will switch to a bi-weekly (every two weeks) schedule for Summer Term.
- Events will be updated each week (bi-weekly during Summer Term, as there are fewer events). In most cases, events will be publicized on an individual slide for each event. However, events may be included on a single events listing slide, depending on the number of messages scheduled for that week. Exceptions will be made at the discretion of the Communications Team.
Certain College-sponsored events that are open to the public may be publicized in the media through event releases. The Communications staff will determine which events meet the criteria to be sent as event releases. To learn more about submitting events for publication in the media, visit the news releases webpage.
How to Submit Events
To submit events for the Collegewide Events Calendar, marquees or digital monitors, follow these steps:
- Log in to TIM.
- Under Communications, select Request a news release or other communication assistance.
- Complete the information on the form. Please be thorough.
- Under Request Type and Area, select the relevant category.
- Enter the Need By Date.
- Once the request is complete, review it and then click Save Request.
When submitting events, please keep the lead times in mind. If you have questions about lead times or submitting events, please contact Kimberly Allen at ext. 2272.