Provides professional library services with emphasis on reference and instruction, under the direction of the Director, College Libraries. Working in a team environment, provides leadership for library services, and direction in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the library's information literacy instruction program. Creates instructional and training materials in print, multimedia and interactive formats. Works collaboratively with other academic support services staff across the campus to develop programs and initiatives for the college community.
1. Serves as Research/Instruction Librarian in assisting students, faculty, staff and other library users with identification, location, interpretation, and use of library resources in electronic and print formats.
2. Teaches in a classroom setting using a variety of instructional approaches and technologies; plans lessons and assesses learning outcomes of instruction sessions; determines appropriate format for delivery of materials.
3. Assumes responsibility for assigned areas of collection development; uses available tools to review and select, maintains familiarity with assigned collection sections for selection and de-selection of materials, and participates as member of the Collection Development team for developing policy and procedure. This requires frequent bending with the ability to lift up to 25lbs unassisted. It also requires the ability to push, pull book carts; bend, stoop, kneel and reach on occasion, and climb on low stool to reach six-foot-high shelving.
4. Participates in Information Services Desk schedule rotation for the assigned campus with other librarians, and provides library services in person, by phone, through email and other electronic or digital means.
5. Develops library services, resources and materials for access and instruction to keep pace with the classroom, online, electronic, multi-media and interactive environments.
6. Serves as librarian-in-charge while working at the Information Services Desk, or in the absence of Library Director or Campus Librarian.
7. Serves as librarian liaison to specified academic departments of the college; communicates and collaborates with teaching faculty.
8. Offers input on budget, resources and infrastructure required for the library to provide the best service to students and faculty; demonstrates knowledge of and implements college policies and procedures, participates in setting goals and objectives for library services, maintains appropriate records, reports and statistics with accuracy and timeliness.
9. Participates in professional activities, on-going continuing education, and maintains familiarity with theory, practices, and trends in college libraries.
10. Perform other duties as required or requested.
1. Master's degree in Library/information science from an American Library Association accredited institution.
2. Thorough working knowledge of Library services and standard procedures; some experience with reference services in academic Library.
3. Experience with online and automated systems, networked environments, electronic information sources, database research, and the Internet).
1. Master of one or more fields of academic Library specialization.
2. Experience with college libraries and information literacy instruction.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES & SKILLS:
1. Demonstrated knowledge of trends in electronic resources and technology applications in libraries.
2. Demonstrated ability to work creatively and collaboratively in a rapidly changing environment.
3. Demonstrated ability to develop instructional resources for a variance of teaching and learning pedagogies.
4. Skilled PC user with experience in word processing, spreadsheet, desk top publishing or graphics software, and flexibility in learning new technologies.
5. Knowledge of copyright law as it applies to Library collections and services in an educational setting.
6. Ability to understand both oral and written instructions.
7. Excellent public relations, interpersonal, telephone and electronic communication skills.
8. Ability to work independently, with attention to detail and accuracy.
9. Ability to work in a complex, team-based environment and with diverse user groups.
10. Strong understanding of the key issues and trends in the design and delivery of library instruction in support of the academic mission of the college.
11. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
12. Commitment to working in a multicultural environment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:
1. Works inside a Library/office environment.
2. Airborne dust and mold, common to a Library setting.
This description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisors.
This position is not eligible for Veteran's Preference.