Seminole State College’s fire academy provides training for students who want to become firefighters, as well as certified firefighters looking to increase their knowledge and career opportunities with online fire science degrees and Florida State Fire College certifications. Our National Fire Academy-recognized online fire science degree program is designed to prepare firefighters and fire safety professionals for careers such as:
- Professional firefighting
- Fire inspector
- Fire apparatus and pump operator
- Fire investigation
Seminole State's curriculum options include:
- Fire Academy/EMT Combined PSAV Certificate Program This entry-level program is designed to provide students all certificates and training required to work as a Florida career firefighter. This 38-week 750-hour program will be eligible for financial-aid.
- Florida Firefigher Academy: This 22-week 450-hour program is for students who have already attended an EMT or Paramedic program and whose goal is to gain employment as a firefighter. All Fire Academy classes are taught by professional Central Florida firefighters and Fire officers with years of experience.
- Online Fire Science Degree: This two-year Associate in Science (A.S.) degree program is for students looking to enhance their firefighter training or to prepare themselves for advanced positions such as fire officer or fire inspector, or earn their fire investigator certification.
- Pump Operator Certification: Thisprogram is designed to enhance firefighter training by providing the theoretical knowledge needed to understand the principles of hydraulics, water flow and fire pump operation.
All fire academy programs are approved by the Florida State Fire College and supported by local Central Florida fire departments and the Seminole County Fire Training Directors' Committee. Florida certified firefighters and fire officers can receive college credit for state certification and training under the Fire Science Articulated Credit Agreement.