Dr. Roger Portman, Chemistry Professor
Roger Portman was born in the Midwest and grew up in the Chicago area. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry from Marquette University, a Master of Business Administration in Finance from the University of California at Berkeley, and a Ph.D. in Chemistry from Penn State University.
At Penn State, Dr. Portman researched the synthesis of transition metal compounds that contain novel organic ligands. With his research, he made extensive use of nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy for the identification and structural analysis of the compounds that were synthesized.
During his career, Dr. Portman spent more than 25 years in the medical diagnostic and pharmaceutical industries, where he was involved with new product development and business planning as a:
- Manager of new product planning for the Hyland Diagnostics Division of Baxter International, a company involved with the manufacture of human blood control serums used with high-speed blood analyzers in clinical diagnostic laboratories of hospitals.
- New product development manager for the Armorlite Division of 3M Corp., a company involved with the development of high-strength, scratch-resistant plastic polymers used in the production of ophthalmic prescription eyeglass lenses.
- Director of new business development at NeoRx Corp., a biotechnology company that develops highly specific monoclonal antibodies used for diagnosing and treating cancer.
- Vice president with Biomedical Business International, a leading medical market research and consulting company in the healthcare field.
- Director of business development for Syncor International, a company that produces and distributes radiopharmaceuticals to hospital radiology departments for diagnostic imaging.
- Director of new business development for the LifeScan Division of Johnson & Johnson Corp., a company that develops and manufactures handheld blood glucose test meters used by diabetic patients in their homes.
Dr. Portman's interests include fishing, cooking, competitive trap shooting, following college football and basketball, and collecting and restoring antique furniture and clocks. He is married and has two sons and a daughter.
- Bachelor of Arts, Chemistry, Marquette University
- Doctor of Philosophy, Chemistry, Penn State York
- Master of Business Admin, Business Administration, University of California-Berkeley