Seminole State community encouraged to prepare for hurricane season
Wednesday, May 31, 2023
Written by: Seminole State Staff
The Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1 and continues through Nov. 30. With the National Hurricane Center already tracking a system developing in the Gulf of Mexico, Seminole State College of Florida’s Emergency Response Team is encouraging the College community to be prepared and offers these hurricane preparedness tips.
Preparing for a hurricane
- Download the Seminole State Safe App, the College’s free personal safety mobile app. The College uses the Everbridge mass notification platform to provide time-sensitive messages, including text alerts and push notifications, to the College community.
- Review information provided on the College’s emergency website, Seminole State Alert, and in the College's Emergency Response and Emergency Notification System (ENS) guides available in every classroom, lab and office suite collegewide.
- Save the Seminole State Emergency Hotline – 407.708.2290 – in your phone’s contact. This hotline is updated with emergency information.
- Prepare a disaster kit so you’ll have the necessary supplies during an emergency.
- Discuss preparedness plans with family and friends and keep them updated if your plans change.
How you'll be notified
- If you’re on campus, listen for emergency broadcasts through the Emergency Alert Phone System. Speaker phones are in all classrooms and offices at Seminole State.
- Check your mobile phone for emergency text messages and push notifications sent via the Seminole State Safe App.
- Monitor the College’s website, and social media sites (Facebook and Twitter) for updated information.
- Call the Emergency Hotline at 407.708.2290.
- Check your Seminole State email account. When possible, Seminole State will email messages to students, faculty and staff.
As Seminole State prioritizes the health, safety and wellbeing of all members of the College community, the College is committed to keeping you informed during an emergency. By planning now, you can reduce stress and frustration and be prepared this hurricane season.
Seminole State College of Florida, established in 1965, serves more than 25,000 students across six sites in Central Florida. A full-service education provider, Seminole State has thrived by adapting to and meeting the needs of an ever-changing, vibrant community. Seminole State offers 11 bachelor’s degrees in high-demand, high-growth fields; two-year associate degrees; specialized certificates; continuing professional education; adult education and guaranteed admission via DirectConnect to UCF® to the University of Central Florida for Associate in Arts (A.A.) graduates. By offering flexible, affordable, high-quality educational programs and services, the College continues to help students learn, succeed and GO Far. For more about Seminole State, visit seminolestate.edu.
GO social with us!