Resources for LGBTQ Students
As a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or questioning (LGBTQ) student entering the workforce, you may find yourself thinking about how your sexual identity, gender identity and gender expression relate to your job search. The following collection of resources may be helpful for the LGBTQ person entering the workplace.
- College Resources for LGBT Students, the Ultimate Guide
- LGBTQ Friendly Colleges & Student Resources
- LGBTQ LibGuide - useful resources compiled by the Seminole State College Library
- Out at Work A nonprofit dedicated to educating, preparing and empowering LGBT college students and their allies for the workplace.
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) LGBT Rights - The Lesbian and Gay Rights Project offers articles, news updates and legislation summaries of workplace issues affecting LGBT persons.
- Human Rights Campaign - Source of information on workplace and corporate attitudes and policies surrounding sexual orientation.
- Lamda Legal - National LGBT civil rights organization; website includes information about workplace discrimination cases.
- Out and Equal - Nonprofit organization that discusses LGBT workplace issues.
- Pride at Work - Seeks to integrate LGBT concerns into the larger labor movement.
- Diversity.com - This website has resources for several diverse populations including African-Americans, Asian-Americans, disabled, gay and lesbian, Hispanics, Native Americans and women.
- Idealist.org - Search on "gay, lesbian and bisexual issues" for a list of LGBT-related nonprofit organizations in the U.S.
- LGBT CareerLink - Out & Equal's LGBTCareerLink.com links diversity-friendly employers with top LGBT talent.
- MBA Orlando - Central Florida's LGBT Chamber of Commerce
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force - Employment and internship opportunities with the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF)
- ProGayJobs.com - First e-Recruitment site dedicated to gays and lesbians to get jobs in gay-friendly companies. The website provides job postings from companies that promote diversity and provide safe and open environments for gay and lesbian workers.
- Watermark Online - Business Directory of LGBTQ-friendly companies in the Central Florida area.
- Workplace Diversity - The central job search website for corporate recruiters who want to make a good faith effort to reach experienced diversity talent.
- Out Professionals - Leading gay and lesbian professional networking site.
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA)
- Lesbian and Gay Veterinary Medical Association (LGVMA)
- National Consortium of Directors of LGBT Resources in Higher Education
- National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association (NLGJA)
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals (NOGLSTP)
- Publishing Triangle
- TESOL (Teachers of English Speakers of Other Languages) LGBT caucus
- GoFinancialAid.com - A list of financial aid information for the LGBT community.
- About.com - List of LGBT Scholarships
- College Scholarships.org - List of LGBT Scholarships
- FinAid.org - List of Financial Aid Links for LGBT Students
- Transgender at Work - Provides resources for innovative employers who want to set their company employment policies to help their transgender employees to be at their most productive. Includes links to resources for transgender workers.
- Transgender Employment Links from the Center for Gender Sanity
- Work Transition for Transsexual and Transgender People
- "Straight Jobs Gay Lives": Silverstein, Sharon & Friskopp, Annette (1996)
An extensive resource guide covers online information services, gay professional and networking organizations, employee groups, books, statutes and ratings of companies' policies on nondiscrimination and domestic-partner benefits.
- "From the Outside In: Strategies for Success When You’re Not a Member of the Dominant Group in Your Workplace": Blank, Renee & Slipp, Sandra (2005)
Includes seven strategies for success when you are not a member of the dominant group in your workplace. Explains how to get ahead without selling out, recognize your personal power, and become more visible.
- "Lavender Road to Success. The Career Guide for the Gay Community": Snyder, Kirk (2004)
Discusses issues related to being gay in the workplace, including why you will make more money when you are out of the closet at work and how to find an employer that's perfect for you.
- "Out at Work: Building a Gay-Labor Alliance": Krupat, Kitty & McCreery, Patrick (2000)
Describes the hurdles in being openly homosexual in the labor movement.
- "Straight Talk about Gays in the Workplace": Winfeld, Liz & Spielman, Susan (2005)
Offers advice on coming out at work, with strategies and tools to improve human resources in the workplace.