Leaps and Bounds Scholarship Program
The National Science Foundation (NSF) Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (S-STEM) program was created to improve the retention and degree completion rates of groups that have historically been underrepresented in STEM attending Seminole State College. This project supports Seminole State's continuing efforts to transform its STEM ecosystem, strengthening the guided pathway for academically talented, diverse college students pursuing biology-related degrees by providing financial resources accompanied by strategic, evidence-driven and coordinated support services.
About the NSF Leaps and Bounds Scholarship
The NSF Leaps and Bounds S-STEM Scholarship provides students with full-time tuition and fees each Fall and Spring term through completion of their associate degree for up to two consecutive years (excluding summers) at Seminole State.
Students accepted into this program will also:
- Form a cohort and participate in undergraduate research.
- Be assigned faculty mentors to assist with every step of their college experience, including academic advising and financial aid assistance, opportunities for campus involvement and transfer preparation.
- Receive peer mentoring and invitations to social activities and workshops to enhance their STEM education experience.
To be eligible for the Leaps and Bounds Scholarship, students must:
- Be an underrepresented minority or woman seeking an Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree full time (12-15 hours) and be committed to pursuing a major in a biological science-related field.
- Show remaining financial need (as determined by FAFSA).
- Academic requirements for the program:
- Minimum GPA: 3.0 (weighted)
- Freshmen will enroll in General Biology I (BSC201C).
- Current students who have completed General Biology I are eligible to apply.
- Scholars must subsequently enroll in one more class which requires General Biology I as a prerequisite.
- Scholars in the program must take Intro to STEM Research I and II.
General Deadline: May 31, 2023
To apply for the NSF Leaps and Bounds S-STEM Scholarship Program, follow these steps:
- Complete the FAFSA. Seminole State’s school code is 001520.
- Complete the scholarship application and submit via
e-mail to Dr. Maya Byfield or mail/drop off in person to:
Seminole State College Altamonte Springs Campus
ALT Faculty Office, Room 216F
850 State Road 434
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
The following documents must be attached to your scholarship application:
- An essay describing your extracurricular activities; educational and career goals and how this scholarship would help you reach your goals (500 word maximum).
- One reference letter from an educator.
- A copy of your high school or college transcript (unofficial is acceptable).
Scholarship applications with missing documents will not be considered.
Scholarship Renewal Requirements
Scholarship recipients will be renewed toward their degree provided they meet the following criteria:
- Maintain academic talent as illustrated by GPA and faculty recommendation.
- Regularly attend and participate in cohort activities.
- Engage with faculty mentors throughout the term for academic advising and financial aid information.
- Enroll in a designated ISC2911 Honors STEM Research to participate in undergraduate research.
This Track 1 S-STEM program is supported by the National Science Foundation through the project titled Learning Experiences and Progression Support for Community College Students Pursuing Biological Sciences Degrees (LEAPS #1930293).