Retiree Benefit Program (Procedure 2.4600)
|Based on board policy number and Florida Statute:||Effective Date:|
|1001.64, .65 F.S.; 6A-14.0262, .047; 1.020 SCC Policy||10/03|
A retiree is a former employee who completed ten (10) years of continuous full-time employment at Seminole State immediately prior to retirement from Seminole State College and is currently receiving retirement benefits through an Seminole State retirement plan. Purpose: The purpose of this procedure is to describe benefits and services available to qualified retirees through the Retiree Benefit Program. The Program is intended to enhance SCC's operations, educational programs and services through continued association with SCC's retirees. Procedure:
- Access to benefits and services:
- A retirement packet including information about benefits and services available to SCC retirees will be distributed to any eligible employee who has successfully completed retirement paperwork, and whose resignation has been accepted by his/her department and approved by the board. The packet will include request/election forms which, upon completion, will be forwarded to the appropriate departments by the Human Resources office. Complete the Retiree Benefits Election checklist form and submit to the Human Resources office.
- Upon receipt of the checklist form, HR will contact the appropriate departments to setup services and provide benefits.
- A follow-up confirmation letter will be mailed to the retiree along with materials that may have been requested (such as new library card, stationery, cards, etc.)
- All questions can be referred to the Human Resources Office.
- Benefits and services include but are not limited to:
- Library Privileges. Library borrowing privileges and access to all SCC learning resource centers will be extended to eligible retirees. Retirees may use a current, valid library card or may request a new card to be issued for this purpose. Retirees using current library cards will need to visit the library in order to receive their retirement status sticker. New cards will be issued with the retirement status sticker by the HR Department.
- Exercise Facilities. Retirees may use the weight/exercise room and tennis courts on a space available basis during posted hours. A college employee will be on the premises during these scheduled periods. Retirees must present their SCC library card and a picture ID to gain admittance.
- Theater Admission. Eligible retirees will receive the same discounts on tickets and subscriptions for SCC student productions as current SCC employees. Their SCC Library card and picture ID must be presented for discounts. Current Theater Season Brochure will be included in retirement packet and retirees' names will be added to cultural arts mailing list for future events.
- Tuition Waivers. Retirees who are residents of the State of Florida who are 60 years of age and older, will be given a waiver of matriculation, tuition, and late registration fees when registering for one college credit class on a space available basis. Courses may be taken for credit or audited. To take advantage of this opportunity, residents may register after the regular registration period.
- Tuition Reimbursement for Spouse and Dependents. The spouse and dependent(s) of an eligible, retired SCC employee may be entitled to a refund of approved fees for post-secondary credit courses taken at the College for a total of 60 semester hours or their equivalent. To be eligible, a retiree must have completed ten (10) years of continuous full-time employment at SCC immediately prior to retirement from Seminole State College and currently must be receiving retirement benefits through an Seminole State retirement plan.
- Insurance. Retirees are eligible for medical, dental, supplemental life, and vision insurance coverage, although premium expenses must be paid by the retiree. Insurance forms and an FRS payroll deduction form will be included in the retirement packet and a payment schedule will be sent upon receipt of coverage elections.
- Service Pins. Seminole State retirees will be awarded a special retiree service pin.
- E-Mail and Postal Mail. Retirees may continue to use their department's e-mail and postal mail addresses for professional purposes.
- Cards and correspondence. Retirees may use Seminole State "retiree" stationery for professional correspondence and may request Seminole State business cards for use after retirement. Cards will include the retiree's name, current title-retired, Seminole State address and mailbox, and the phone number of the retiree's former department.
- Parking. Retirees may obtain an Seminole State parking decal/tag, which permits them free access to all campus location parking for faculty/staff. The parking decal can be obtained from the cashiers' windows located outside of student services (Building A) on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. Retirees must present their library card (indicating retirement status) and a photo ID.
- Emergency Shelter. Retired employees of the College and their dependents are eligible to use Building G (the Fine Arts building), as an emergency shelter (capacity to shelter 150 individuals.) In the event the shelter must be opened, Seminole County Emergency Management will promptly contact the College's representative. Individuals using the shelter must provide their own subsistence items.
|Recommended by||Executive Staff||Date||8/12/02|
|Approved:||President, E.Ann McGee||Date||10/20/03|