Assignment of Grade of Incomplete (Procedure 4.0307)
|Authority:||F.S. 1001.64; FAC 6A-14.060, 6A-14.0301|
|Date of Review:||05/21|
|Related Policy:||1.060; 4.090|
To provide procedures for faculty assignment and management of grades of "Incomplete."
Incomplete - a grade of Incomplete (“I”) may be given at the faculty member’s discretion when the student is progressing satisfactorily but, for valid reasons, cannot complete the final requirements of a course within the specified term.
Valid reasons - serious, unforeseen situations such as the student’s illness, the death of a student’s family member, and situations covered by statute such as manifestation of a disability1 and complications of pregnancy2.
Family member - a spouse, domestic partner, parent, child, or sibling.
Progressing satisfactorily – meriting a grade of “A”, “B”, “C”, “D” or “P”/”S” on the last date of attendance.
End of the term - the last scheduled day of classes for the College.
- Course policies with respect to the assignment of a grade of “I” are at the discretion of the faculty member.
- A grade of “I” may be assigned if the student is progressing satisfactorily and, for valid reasons, cannot complete the final requirements of a course within the specified term.
- By assigning a grade of "I," the faculty member indicates that it is possible for the student to receive a passing grade by completing satisfactorily the prescribed unfinished course work within 30 days of the first day of the next semester.
- Incomplete work must be made up in such a manner that permits the "I" grade to be converted to a letter grade ("A-F") within 30 days of the first day of the next semester.
- Students who are auditing are not eligible for a grade of “I”.
- It is the student’s responsibility to consult with their faculty member to determine if they qualify for an Incomplete prior to the end of the term. The faculty member shall prescribe in a written agreement the remaining course work required for completion and removal of the “I” grade. The written agreement shall include:
- a description of the work the student has already completed;
- the student’s current grade;
- a description of the work the student must still complete; and
- a deadline for completion of the work.
A copy of this agreement will be kept on file in the office of the appropriate Academic Dean.
- The faculty who agrees to assign an Incomplete grade assumes the responsibility for grading the additional work and reporting the changed grade per College Procedure 4.0301 to Enrollment Services.
- The "I" grade will be changed to an "F" grade on the morning of the 31st day from the first day of the next semester if the coursework is not completed during this time-period. Transcripts will indicate "Grade Lapse" when "I" grades lapse to the grade of "F."
- A student is not eligible for degree program completion or honors until all "I" grades have been updated to a letter grade of A, B, C, D, F, P, S or U in the student’s academic record.
- The "I" grade may also affect a student’s eligibility for financial aid (see College Procedure 4.2000, Standard of Academic Progress for Financial Aid Recipients.)
1Faculty are encouraged to consult Disability Support Services for guidance.
2Faculty are encouraged to consult Equity and Diversity/Title IX Coordinator for guidance.
|Recommended by:||Executive Team/CAC||Date||5/18/2021|
|Signed by:||President Georgia L Lorenz||Date||5/24/2021|