Commercial Solicitation, Posting/Distribution of Notices on College Property (Procedure 1.1000)
|Authority:||F.S. 1001.64; 1004.097|
|Date of Revision(s):||01/2015; 10/2019|
The purpose of this procedure is to describe the process and guidelines for submitting requests for commercial speech on College property, including but not limited to solicitation, posting/distribution of notices by persons or organizations outside of Seminole State College. For purposes of this Procedure, College property means any property of any nature (real, personal, tangible, intangible) owned, leased, or used by the College and includes physical, digital/electronic, technological and other locations.
1. Requests and Registration
- All requests for any form of commercial speech, including but not limited to solicitation and posting/distribution of notices including, but not limited to, advertising, notices, flyers, publications, or other forms of commercial communication must be submitted to the Office of Campus Safety and Security at each respective campus for approval prior to posting, distribution, or dissemination on or using College property. If requests are related to student recruitment by employers or other academic institutions, the Career Development Center will be consulted by the Office of Campus Safety and Security prior to approval per Procedure 3.0701.
- All requests for any form of commercial speech, including but not limited to solicitation, posting/distribution of notices including, but not limited to, advertising, notices, flyers, publications or other forms of commercial communication intended for employees must be submitted to the Human Resources office for approval prior to posting, distribution, or dissemination on or using College property.
- All requests for any form of commercial speech intended for a general audience (both students and employees) must be submitted to the Office of Campus Safety and Security at each respective campus for approval prior to posting, distribution, or dissemination on or using College property. The Office of Campus Safety and Security will coordinate with other College departments as necessary.
- All requests require the completion of a form with the requester’s name, name of business/organization, address, the requested date and time of activity, and nature of the activity.
- Approved requests for solicitation and posting of notices will be registered and given a registration number and expiration date that must be displayed on the solicitation or posting. The expiration date for posted materials will be ten (10) business days from the date of registration. Approved requests for solicitation (table events) will designate the number of sequential days this is allowed on College property, generally no more than 1-2 days.
2. Approved Locations
- The posting, distribution or dissemination of commercial materials is restricted to specific locations on each respective College property. The College representative will communicate these locations upon approval.
- Posting, distribution or otherwise affixing printed commercial material or other commercial items on vehicles parked in College parking facilities is prohibited.
- Commercial Publications may be distributed from bins or racks only in designated areas.
3. General Guidelines
- Anything commercial that is posted on College property in an unapproved area, without a registration number, and/or without an expiration date will be immediately removed.
- Anyone soliciting or posting, distributing or disseminating commercial notices on College property without registration or in an unapproved area is trespassing and subject to arrest and prosecution.
- Any commercial speech must not have the immediate or potential impact of disrupting classroom or general campus life.
- Solicitors must not obstruct vehicular, bicycle, pedestrian, or other traffic.
- Solicitors must not obstruct entrances or exits to buildings or driveways, or impede entry to or exit from any building or parking lot or vehicular path.
- The College’s name, marks, logos, insignias, seals, colors, designs and symbols will not be used in advertising without the permission of the President or designee.
- Product or service sales are not permitted on College property without the prior, express, and written permission of the College.
- The College reserves the right to enter into agreement with commercial concerns in support of college events and services. Co-sponsored activities will be considered official college functions and will not be subject to the above restrictions.
- Any person who observes inappropriate activity relevant to this procedure should report it to the Office of Campus Safety and Security for follow-up.
- All approved requests must adhere to all other College policies and procedures.
|Recommended by:||Executive Team/CAC||Date:||10/22/2019|
|Signed by:||President, Georgia L. Lorenz||Date:||10/30/2019|