Shared Governance Council (Procedure 1.0900.1)
|Authority:||F.S. 1000.64; 1000.65; Policy 1.020|
|Date of Revision:||------|
The purpose of this council is to serve as an advocate and to provide oversight for shared governance at all levels at the College.
Shared Governance is the balanced participation of administration, faculty, staff, and students in operational planning, decision-making, and implementation relative to how each group may be impacted by the decision.
- We will solicit diverse perspectives for institutional decisions and ensure the representation of all affected groups.
- We will communicate openly and with transparency by welcoming an exchange of ideas without risk of reprisal.
- We will foster a culture of collaboration, engagement, and collective investment in the mission of the College.
- Foster and model best practices across the College that are consistent with the guiding principles of shared governance, including communication with stakeholders across the College.
- Work to ensure standing and non-standing committees maintain required posting of minutes, an active presence on the College website, and other communication necessary to keep faculty and staff informed.
- Create and maintain a directory of all committees and other outlets for shared governance on campus in the interest of transparency and to promote participation in shared governance.
- Provide guidance and oversight across constituencies. Coordinate with the College Advisory Council to ensure elements of shared governance are consistent and appear in college policies and procedures.
- Maintain the shared governance web site and a college-wide committee meeting calendar.
- Work with Human Resources and the Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning (FCTL) to provide training on elements of shared governance.
- Develop and maintain an annual self-assessment to be used by all College governing bodies to evaluate and improve upon their use of shared governance best practices.
- Jointly organize and conduct an annual summit with the Council to Coordinate Standing Committees for all college faculty, staff and members of standing committees to review CCSC’s “annual assessment and recommendations for improvement and change,” discuss best practices in shared governance and committee procedures, provide training and address any recommendations from Executive Team.
- Members shall be appointed by CCSC in accordance with Procedure 1.0900.4. Membership of the council shall consist of the following:
- Three faculty (Instructional, Librarians, and/or Counselors)
- Two part-time employees (one of which must be an Adjunct Faculty)
- Two professional employees (includes professional staff and technical staff)
- Three career service employees
- One administrator
- One student
- General Counsel (ex-officio, non-voting)
- The Chair of the council shall be elected from the voting membership.
- The General Counsel and the Chair will coordinate the forwarding of council recommendations to appropriate parties within the College.
- The Council shall meet no less than two times a year. In the absence of a serving chair, the General Counsel shall have the responsibility of convening the first meeting of the academic year.
- A liaison shall be elected annually from the voting membership to serve on the College Advisory Council.
- The Council and members will operate in accordance with Procedure 1.0900.
|Recommended by:||Executive Team/CAC||Date:||05/21/2018|
|Signed by:||President E. Ann McGee||Date:||06/4/2018|