Travel Reimbursement (Procedure 5.0550)

Based on board policy number and Florida Statutes:F.S. 1001.65; 1001.64; 112.061; College Policies 1.280, 5.055
Effective Date:7/06; 01/2015
Date of Review:05/09; 08/11; 10/2011; 11/2014


To provide a procedure for reimbursement of travel expenses to employees, Board members, students and other authorized persons.


  1. Authorized Persons: Travel expenses for authorized persons, defined as College employees, Board members, volunteers, consultants, students participating in approved student activities, or a person who is a candidate for a position, are limited to those actual and necessary expenses incurred, or to a per diem allowance, in the performance of College business.
  2. Authorizations/approvals:
    1. All travel, with the exception of daily incidental travel, must be authorized and approved in advance by the department budget manager or divisional vice president. A person who is to be reimbursed for travel expenses by an agency other than the College is not authorized for reimbursement for those same expenses by the College.
    2. Daily incidental travel must be approved by the department budget manager prior to reimbursement.
    3. International (foreign) travel means travel outside of the United States and its territories.
      1. Destinations and the planned time period for such travel (i.e. Spring Break, month/year of trip, etc.) require prior approval of the Board of Trustees.
      2. The College President’s advance approval is required for persons traveling.
  3. Official Headquarters: The Official Headquarters is defined as the place or office provided by the College to which the employee is regularly assigned and to which he/she returns upon completion of special assignments. For the purpose of requesting travel expenses, the beginning point of travel is the official headquarters of the employee. Personnel who are assigned duties for the convenience of the College at two or more sites may be reimbursed for travel between the sites in accordance with official mileage charts. If travel is required to attend a temporary duty assignment before or after employee's normal duty hours, travel may begin at home.
  4. Travel Forms: All requests for travel reimbursements must be routed through the proper authorization process on the appropriate travel form as noted in the "Seminole State College Travel Manual". Proper justification and benefit to the College must be disclosed on the forms.
  5. Travel Expenses: All facets of travel are to be by the most efficient and economical means, given compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.. With the exception of meals, all expenses require an original receipt in order to be reimbursed to the traveler. Travel arrangements are the responsibility of the traveler and must be by the most direct route. The following types of expenses are eligible for reimbursement (see Travel Manual for additional details):
    1. Transportation - Commercial Common Carrier, rental vehicles, privately owned vehicles. Mileage reimbursement is based upon Florida Statutes.
    2. Meals - Meals will be reimbursed at the statutory per diem rate as shown in the Travel Manual. Meals for international travel may be advanced or reimbursed at the current rates as specified in the “Standardized Regulations (Government Civilians, Foreign Areas.)”
    3. Lodging - Lodging will be paid at the per diem or actual rate as allowed by Florida Statutes and as stated in the Travel Manual. Lodging for international travel may be advanced or reimbursed at the current rates as specified in the “Standardized Regulations (Government Civilians, Foreign Areas.)”
    4. Registration and seminar fees.
    5. Incidental - Taxi fare, tolls, parking fees, communication expenses, reasonable tips and gratuities may be advanced or reimbursed as allowed by Florida statute.
  6. Reimbursements for travel expenses will be provided at the rates determined by Florida statute.
  7. Travel Advances: Certain travel expenses may be requested in advance such as airfare, lodging, student meals, or seminar registration fees. The traveler must provide an accounting of these advances via the appropriate travel form within 30 days of trip's end.
  8. Trip Cancellations: The traveler must notify the Travel Section of the Finance/Budget Office when a trip has been cancelled if any College funds have been encumbered or requested.
  9. Travel Manual: The Office of Finance and Budget will maintain a current Travel Manual for access and use by all College employees. 
Recommended byExecutive TeamDate01/2015
Approved:President, E. Ann McGeeDate02/2015