Non-native English Speakers Placement Testing ESL LOEP

Seminole State College instruction is delivered in the English language. Students should have adequate mastery of the English language to pursue a course of study for credit. If English is not the student's best language, his/her entry testing will begin with the PERT or ACCUPLACER and he/she may also be required to complete the LOEP (Levels of English Proficiency) test and Writing Sample. Students seeking degrees or career certificates as First Time In College (FTIC) must complete an approved placement test if non-exempt.

Students are not required to demonstrate English as a second language for proficiency if they have completed freshman English Composition (ENC 1101) or its equivalent (as determined by Seminole State College) with a grade of "C" or higher or if they have earned an Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree, bachelor's degree or higher for which English was the language of instruction. Official college/university transcripts are required for documenting English language proficiency.


The LOEP or ESL test is the Test of English Proficiency for non-native speakers of English used in conjunction with PERT or ACCUPLACER for initial course placement at Seminole State. When students take the LOEP test, they will also be asked to provide a Writing Sample (WS). There is no additional charge and no appointment is necessary. Scores are valid for two years.

Testing hours are available on the Assessment and Testing website. To take the LOEP and WS, visit the Assessment and Testing Department on any campus and bring an official, government-issued photo identification such as a driver's license or passport. Once a student begins coursework in English for Academic Purposes (EAP), he/she is no longer eligible to retest on the PERT, ACCUPLACER, LOEP, and WS unless he/she has been absent from the EAP sequence for two or more years.

If the student's English proficiency is such that he/she is not required to take English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses, the PERT or ACCUPLACER will be used to place him/her in the appropriate courses.