Standards of Academic Progress
Per College Procedure 4.1000 Seminole State College's Standards of Academic Progress have been established to help students maintain a satisfactory grade point average (GPA), to promote student success and program completion culminating in graduation. The College expects students to apply their best effort and utilize support services to achieve academic success.
A cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0 is required to graduate. To maintain satisfactory academic progress at the College, college credit students must achieve a minimum 2.0. cumulative GPA. Successful completion of a course is defined as a grade of A, B, C or D except for those courses that specifically require a grade of C or better for successful completion. Limited access programs may have additional standards that take precedence.
- Academic Standing: Good Standing
To be in good standing, a student must have earned a minimum 2.0 cumulative and semester GPA
- Academic Standing: Academic Support
College credit students whose semester GPA falls below a 2.0 will be placed on Academic Support. Academic Support provides students with notification that they are not maintaining satisfactory progress. Students are strongly encouraged to receive academic support through free tutoring services available through the Academic Success Center. Students on Academic Support are also strongly encouraged to speak with their assigned advisor to discuss their Educational Pathway, and to seek assistance from Faculty, the Program Manager or Associate Dean. To be removed from Academic Support at the end of the next semester, students must achieve a minimum semester GPA and cumulative GPA of a 2.0.
- Academic Standing: Academic Supervision
Students on Academic Support whose semester GPA again falls below a 2.0 will be placed on Academic Supervision. In addition, students who have a cumulative GPA below 2.0 after earning thirty (30) credit hours, including transfer course work, will be placed on Academic Supervision. Students on Academic Supervision are strongly encouraged to seek support through free academic tutoring services provided by the Academic Success Center.
- To be removed from Academic Supervision students must achieve a minimum semester GPA and a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.
- Students who have been placed on academic support or academic supervision will receive notification to schedule an appointment to meet with their assigned advisor. The assigned advisor will discuss the importance of satisfactory academic progress, the minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA required to graduate, and provide additional resources, to include tutoring.
- Students on Academic Support or Academic Supervision will receive communication from their assigned advisor regarding standards of academic progress, tutoring support, and other resources that supports student achievement.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher is required for graduation. Transfer courses are factored into the Seminole State College GPA.