Getting Started: Internships
Before you Start
- You must have a declared major.
- You must have at least a 2.5 GPA.
- You must have completed at least one semester (or 12 credit hours) at Seminole State and some course work related to your major.
- You must currently have or must obtain through the assistance of Career Center staff, a job that is related to your academic and career goals. Utilize the following resources:
- Handshake: View and apply to job postings from our employer partners and make appointments with Career Center staff for resume reviews and job search assistance.
- Attend career fairs and networking events.
- Participate in the Job Shadow Program.
- Use LinkedIn to build your network and foster connections with business professionals and colleagues.
- Conduct informational interviews with professionals in your field of interest.
- Search for positions on job boards.
Steps to Complete Internship Registration
After you have secured an internship experience, you must complete the following steps in order to receive course credit.
- Meet with your academic advisor to determine how many internship credits you need for your degree. Obtain an updated copy of your educational pathway (educational plan) showing the specific internship course number you intend to enroll in and the number of credits needed.
- Log on to Handshake: If this is your first time on Handshake, use your Canvas username and password to gain access.
- Report your internship placement by submitting an experience request in Handshake.
- Upload your educational plan and complete the required fields on the request form in Handshake. On the home page, move the mouse over the “My Account” dropdown menu and click on “My Documents”.
- Register for your course. Once your documents have been reviewed and approved, you will receive a Comment in Handshake under the Experience, which will contain the course registration information. You will need to log into your MySeminoleState account, add the class to your schedule, and pay/defer tuition.
- Participate in Canvas Course. At the beginning of the semester of enrollment, you will receive an invitation to participate in the Canvas course, where you will receive the rest of the internship forms.
Internship Registration Deadline Dates
In order to register and receive course credit for your internship experience, the above steps must be completed prior to the deadline dates below.
2022 Fall Term
- August 8, 2022, Internship Request Review/Permission for Fall 2022 Full Term & A Term
- August 29, 2022, Internship Request Review/Permission for Fall 2022 12-week Term
- October 3, 2022, Internship Request Review/Permission for Fall 2022 B Term
2023 Spring Term
- December 19, 2022, Internship Request Review/Permission for Spring 2023 Full Term & A Term
- January 17, 2023, Internship Request Review/Permission for Spring 2023 12-week Term
- February 27, 2023, Internship Request Review/Permission for Spring 2023 B Term
2023 Summer Term
- April 24, 2023, Internship Request Review/Permission for Summer 2023 Full Term & A Term
- June 7, 2023, Internship Request Review/Permission for Summer 2023 B Term
- It is recommended that you start this process early in the semester prior to your anticipated internship registration.
- If a request is submitted beyond the published deadline dates for review, requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and possibly considered for an odd-term option.
- If you are an international student, you must visit the International Student Office on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus to see if you qualify and then work with a Career Center representative at the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. For more information, call 407.708.2936 or email email@example.com.