Faculty Recording of Student Attendance (Procedure 4.0900)
|Date of Review:||05/09; 08/11; 03/13; 05/14; 04/15; 10/16; 01/17; 05/21|
To provide a process by which faculty can create a record of student attendance in accordance with Policy 3.060 Student Attendance.
- The College recognizes the correlation between attendance and both student retention and achievement. A successful college experience requires a student’s regular class attendance and active engagement. Any class session or activity missed, regardless of cause, reduces the opportunity for learning and may adversely affect a student’s achievement in the course.
- Students are expected to attend all classes, actively participate, and complete all assigned course work for all courses for which they are registered.
- Faculty members will make a course syllabus available to enrolled students no later than the first day of class. The syllabus should include the instructor’s attendance requirement.
- Instructors may require a more rigorous attendance requirement due to such factors as program requirements, state mandates of 100% attendance, etc.
- Instructors should define expectations regarding students’ interactions within distance learning courses (online, hybrid, remote, etc.) and attendance at orientation when required, as well as students’ use of the class website and/or other media.
- Faculty must validate their grade roster and report "no shows" for each grade roster in MySeminoleState on or before the third (3rd) college business day after the end of drop/add by entering the code of "W4" along with the last date of attendance. In the case of a 3rd attempt class, a “no show” is to be reported by posting an “F” with the last date of attendance the day prior to classes starting.
- The last date of attendance for a “no show” is the day before the start of the term in which the student did not show. Class attendance, participation in a mandatory orientation, or participation in other academically related activity will be the determining factor for reporting the W4.
- Grade roster validation and “No show (W4)” reporting must be submitted to the Enrollment Services/Registrar’s office via MySeminoleState by the published deadlines.
- Faculty should not permit students to attend class sessions if they are not listed on the official class or grade roster. Faculty will not add any student's name to the final class or grade roster.
- Faculty in Career Certificate may, prior to the last published date to withdraw from a course, withdraw (assign a W2) students without warning who have been absent more than ten percent (10%) of the scheduled class or activity time, or who are not interactive or responsive in a timely manner in distance learning courses, as determined by the instructor.
- Faculty members must assign the withdrawal (W2) within 2 weeks of the student’s last date of attendance and provide a last date of attendance (LDA) when entering the withdrawal (W2).
- W2 grades require last date of attendance.
- After the withdrawal deadline, Career Certificate faculty may issue a grade of “F” for similar low attendance or performance.
- Career Certificate faculty must include attendance requirement information in the class syllabus.
- Faculty in Adult Education may withdraw (assign a W2) students without warning who have been absent more than ten percent (10%) of the scheduled class or activity time or who are not interactive or responsive in a timely manner in distance learning courses, as determined by the instructor. Faculty members must assign the withdrawal (W2) and provide a last date of attendance (LDA) when entering the withdrawal (W2).
- W2 grades require a last date of attendance (LDA).
- Faculty must include attendance requirement information in the class syllabus.
- Faculty will post an accurate grade, for each student in each class on or before each grade-gathering deadline.
- The student must notify an instructor in advance of any absence based on medical conditions related to pregnancy, manifestation of a disability, jury duty, military leave, official representation of the College, court-mandated appearances, or observance of religious holidays. In accordance with Procedure 3.0610 –Student Attendance, if the student asks the instructor to make up work missed, when reasonable, the instructor will provide the student with a written plan with due dates and assignments consistent with the activities.
|Recommended by:||Executive Team/CAC||Date||5/18/2021|
|Signed by:||President Georgia L Lorenz||Date||5/24/2021|