Academic Recognition and Graduation Honors (Procedure 4.0500)
|F.S. 1001.64; 1004.65; FAC 6A-14.060
|Date of Revision(s):
The purpose of this procedure is to outline the criteria and process for students to receive academic recognition and/or graduation honors.
- Academic Recognitions: Honors awarded for outstanding academic achievement.
- Presidents and Deans Lists: A compilation of the names of students who have earned high grades during a particular term at Seminole State College.
- Honor Society: A national or international honor society is an association of primarily collegiate chapters whose purposes are to recognize and encourage high scholarship and/or leadership achievement in some broad or specialized field of study.
- Registered Student Organization: Student organizations that have been officially recognized per College Procedure 3.0510.
A. President’s and Dean’s List
- An A.S., A.A., B.A.S., or B.S. degree seeking student enrolled in six (6) or more credit hours and a Career Certificate student enrolled in 180 contact hours (6 credit hours) will be eligible for the President's and Dean's Honors list which is determined one time each term once final grades are posted per the academic calendar.
The following criteria shall apply:
- A student earning a term grade point average of 3.75 or above will be placed on the President's List for a period of one (1) term.
- A student earning a term grade point average of 3.25 to 3.74 inclusive will be placed on the Dean's List for a period of one (1) term.
B. Academic Graduation Honors
- A.S., A.A., B.A.S., or B.S. degree seeking students and Career Certificate students are eligible to be considered for graduation Honors if they have been in attendance at the College for at least two terms. The appropriate Honors are recorded on students' diplomas and official academic transcripts. The Honors are based on cumulative scholastic achievement at all colleges and universities attended as follows:
|Grade Point Average (GPA)
3.2 - 3.49 grade point average
3.5 - 3.79 grade point average
Magna Cum Laude
3.8 - 4.0 grade point average
Summa Cum Laude
Specialized Honors Programs:
A. Honors Institute Diploma, Certificate, Honors in the Major and Advanced STEM Certificate
- Honors Diploma: A.A. or A.S. degree-seeking students who have earned at least a C in twenty (20) hours in Honors courses, a 3.2 cumulative GPA, and fulfilled all other program requirements as determined by the Honors Institute will receive the distinction of an Honors Diploma that will be designated on the diploma and official transcript and be recognized at graduation.
- Honors Certificate: A.A. or A.S. degree-seeking students who have earned at least a C in thirteen (13) hours in Honors courses, a 3.2 GPA, and fulfilled all other program requirements as determined by the Honors Institute will receive the distinction of an Honors Certificate that will be designated on the diploma and official transcript.
- Honors in the Major: Baccalaureate degree-seeking students who have completed at least nine (9) hours in Honors courses, a 3.5 cumulative baccalaureate GPA, and completed all other program requirements as determined by the Honors Institute will receive the distinction of Honors in the Major that will be designated on the diploma and official transcript.
- Advanced STEM Certificate: A.A. or A.S. degree-seeking students who complete the eight required science and math courses and the two science seminars with a GPA of 3.2 or higher in those courses will receive the distinction of an Advanced STEM Certificate and be recognized at graduation.
B. Honor Society Transcript Notation
- Student Recognition of membership in Official College Approved Honor Society(s) shall be posted to the student's transcript at the time of graduation.
- The chapter advisor to College Recognized Honor Society(s) shall provide a membership list to Enrollment Services at the time of graduation of active students in the chapter.
|President, Georgia L. Lorenz