The Grindle Honors Institute offers a stimulating academic environment for students who want to enrich their academic experience. The program offers the following benefits to students:
- Matching students with outstanding faculty instructors in small course settings that foster collaboration, discourse and engagement;
- Developing critical thinking skills with an emphasis on academic writing and research;
- Complementing the classroom experience with co-curricular programming that promotes leadership, service and scholarship;
- Providing high levels of mentoring, advising and development through individualized attention throughout a student's program of study;
- Preparing students for transfer, career success and competition for undergraduate fellowships and awards.
Students who are accepted into the Honors Institute are eligible for scholarships, travel to conferences and study abroad opportunities. The following programs are available:
- Honors Certificate
- Honors Diploma
- Honors in the Major
Honors Diploma and Honors Certificate
The Honors Diploma Program is a 20-credit curriculum that offers qualifying students a unique academic opportunity to broaden and enrich their college experiences. Students who complete the program graduate with an Associate in Arts Honors Diploma.
The Honors Certificate Program is a 13-credit curriculum. The certificate may be earned in the Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees.
This is a limited-access program. Interested students must first be admitted to Seminole State before becoming eligible to apply to the Grindle Honors Institute. The dates for application may vary. Students should be aware that acceptance to the College does not guarantee admission to the Honors Program. Candidates must submit a completed Honors Institute application for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Seminole State's Honors Diploma and Certificate programs are available for students seeking an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree who meet the following qualification:
- Grade Point Average (GPA) - Students must have a minimum 3.4 high school cumulative GPA or a minimum 3.4 cumulative GPA in at least 6 hours of college credit courses.
Admission for Dual Enrollment Students
All SSC Honors courses are open to dual enrollment students who have a 3.4 cumulative GPA or higher. If a dual enrollment student matriculates at SSC after high school graduation, all Honors Program courses completed with a grade of "C" or higher will count toward the requirements for graduation from the Honors Program.
Honors in the Major
The Honors in the Major Program is a nine-credit curriculum designed to encourage students to explore their major disciplines in greater depth by completing a research or applied project, and the program is open to all qualified baccalaureate students. Students completing the requirements for Honors in the Major engage in valuable preparation for graduate and professional training and learn worthwhile skills that will benefit them in the workplace.
This is a limited-access program. Interested students must first be admitted to Seminole State before becoming eligible to apply to the Grindle Honors Institute. The dates for application may vary. Students should be aware that acceptance to the College does not guarantee admission to the Honors Program.
Seminole State's Honors in the Major program is available to baccalaureate students who have a minimum 3.5 major GPA. Candidates must submit a completed Honors Institute application for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For more information, contact the Honors Institute, L-230, phone: 407.708.2600 or email@example.com.