Graduation and certificate requirements may change due to changes in state laws or rules. Students are encouraged to see a Seminole State counselor prior to each registration. Any course waivers or substitutions must be approved in writing by either the Admissions and Graduation Committee for the Associate in Arts degree or the appropriate dean for the Associate in Science degrees and certificates.
Students are responsible for meeting in full the requirements for graduation or program completion as set forth in the College Catalog and any published changes for the specified catalog term.
The catalog considered "in effect" and binding on the student is one of the following:
- The catalog semester/program plan under which a student originally enrolled. The student is not required to be enrolled continuously; however, the student must graduate or complete his or her program within five years from the initial semester of enrollment.
- The catalog under which a student is re-admitted will govern the student's graduation requirements. A student previously enrolled whose attendance is interrupted by 12 months or more will be re-admitted under the current catalog year and must graduate or complete his or her program plan within five years from the semester of re-admission under that catalog.
- The catalog semester in which a student changes or begins a new program plan. A student may change his or her program plan prior to the first day of classes of a semester. Once classes for the semester begin, any change must be effective beginning the next semester. It is the student's sole responsibility to ensure that he/she is in the program plan he/she desires. Students will follow the catalog requirements of the semester in which the change of program plan takes effect and must complete the program within five years.
- The College reserves the right to change the curriculum as necessary. Some courses or programs may be discontinued. The College does not guarantee the courses will always be available. Students enrolled in programs where curriculum is determined by state legislation, rule, licensing and/or accrediting agencies, or students enrolled in programs where significant state-of-the-art technological changes have occurred may be required to satisfy the current catalog's graduation requirements.
General Graduation Requirements - Associate in Arts, Associate in Science degrees
The degree candidate must satisfy these general requirements:
- Complete a minimum 60 academic hours with a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 excluding courses designated by an asterisk (*) in the course description section of this catalog (college preparatory level courses and vocational level courses).
- Complete at least 25 percent of the total degree requirements at Seminole State (e.g., a 60 semester-hour degree requires at least 15 semester hours completed at Seminole State College).
- Achieve a GPA not less than 2.0 ("C") in all courses taken at Seminole State, provided that only the final grade received in a course repeated by the student was used in the calculation of average. Transfer courses at upper-division level (3000-4000) and at the college preparatory level are excluded from the GPA calculation. A grade of "D" used to satisfy degree requirements may or may not transfer, subject to the policies of the institution that the student enters.
- Successfully complete (grade of "C" or higher) the following: six semester hours of English coursework and six semester hours of additional coursework in which the student is required to demonstrate college-level writing skills through multiple assignments and six semester hours of mathematics coursework at the level of college algebra or higher. For the Associate in Arts degree, Seminole State requires that students satisfy the requirements by successfully completing General Education coursework in English, humanities, social sciences and history, as well as mathematics courses. For the Associate in Science degree, ENC 1101, ENC 1102 and mathematics General Education courses must be completed with a "C" or higher. If mathematics courses are not required for the program, students must test out of preparatory mathematics or successfully complete preparatory mathematics courses in order to be eligible for college-level mathematics.
- Complete all college preparatory level courses required by entry-level testing with a grade of "C" or higher.
- Have on file, in the Records and Registration Office, official transcripts of all college work previously taken at other colleges or universities.
- File an application for diploma in the Records and Registration Office by the published deadline date on the College Academic Calendar.
- Pay all fees and discharge all other obligations to the complete satisfaction of the College.
- The student is not eligible for graduation until all grades of "I" have been removed from the academic record.
- A student must be enrolled in college-level coursework at the College during the semester that he/she graduates. It is the student's sole responsibility to ensure that his/her program plan is correct and current for the semester that he/she graduates. The College will not change the student's program plan if it is not accurate.
Associate in Arts (A.A.) Degree Requirements
- Satisfactorily complete 36 semester hours of the General Education requirements.
- Complete items one through ten of the General Graduation Requirements.
Associate in Science (A.S.) and Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S) Degree Requirements
- Satisfactorily complete a prescribed course of study in one of the A.S. degree programs.
- Satisfactorily complete 15 or more semester hours of the General Education requirements as specified in the program.
- Satisfactorily complete all General Graduation Requirements except item four.
College Credit Technical Certificates and Career Vocational Credit Certificates (PSAV) Award Requirements
- Satisfactorily complete a prescribed course of study in one of the certificate programs.
- Satisfactorily complete items eight through ten of the General Graduation Requirements.
- Complete PERT for College Credit Technical certificates.
- Complete TABE for Career Vocational certificates.
Baccalaureate Degrees Requirements
Please refer to the baccalaureate degrees section of the College Catalog.
Academic Foundations Requirements
Please refer to the School of Academic Foundations section of the College Catalog.