Steps for Taking the Placement Test
- Begin studying: The Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT) is a computerized test, so it is important to practice taking the test electronically. Seminole State has created an online practice area that will allow you to assess your abilities and improve your test-taking skills.
- Decide when you will take the test: The placement test is administered on a walk-in basis at the Assessment and Testing Center on each campus.
- Find out which materials are required and allowed for your test: You will be required to sign a Testing Agreement before being allowed to test, which will advise you about restricted materials. You can also find information about which of your own materials you will be allowed to bring by reading the Testing Center's Prohibited Items policy.
- Pay for the test: There is no testing fee for first-time-in-college (FTIC) students who have not previously taken a computerized placement test or had one reflected on their transcripts. Seminole State students who are retaking all or part of the test will be assessed a $10 fee. Payment must be received before testing can begin. Contact the Assessment and Testing Center for more information.
- Take the test:Visit your preferred testing location during regular testing hours.
- Final steps: Complete Seminole State's online student orientation, and schedule an advisement appointment with the Academic Advising and Counseling Department. Your advisor will help you interpret your test scores and place you in the appropriate courses.
What should I bring on the day of the test?
Prior to taking any examination, you will need to present a current, valid and original photo ID with a signature (e.g., passport, driver’s license or state-issued ID card). If your photo ID does not include a signature, a second ID is required with your name and signature (e.g., Social Security card, voter registration card, credit card or debit card). The PERT is administered on a computer. Paper and pencil will be provided for the math portion so you can work out your answers.