The Assessment and Testing Center at Seminole State College offers testing services for our students and the College community, including:
- Common exams used by colleges and universities: Florida law requires students to take specific tests before they can enter or exit certain programs or earn a degree, certificate or license.
- Program-specific placement testing: Program-specific placement tests allow Seminole State to evaluate students' skills so they can be placed in the course levels that best meet their educational needs. Students can begin their training at different levels within certain programs. Students entering a program with no previous knowledge or experience may need to start at the beginner level, while students with extensive experience may be able to begin at an advanced level.
Placement tests help the College determine the best place for students to begin their studies. By placing students in the appropriate courses, Seminole State helps them successfully accomplish their goals.
- Specialty exams to earn college credit: Students can test out of certain courses and still earn college credit through a process called credit by examination. Credit-by-examination tests determine students' competency in course content. Students who unsuccessfully attempt to test out of a certain course must take the class before college credit can be earned.
- Professional certification and licensing tests: Many government and private organizations rely on certifications and licenses to determine candidates' skills and knowledge. Some industries even require workers to have specific licenses or certifications before they may perform a job. Public school teachers, for example, must pass a state exam before they are permitted to instruct.
Seminole State's Professional Testing and Certification Center offers many professional certification and licensing tests to help students meet their career objectives. Students must pass an exam to earn the associated certification or license. Taking an exam does not guarantee that a student will earn certification or licensure, and Seminole State is not responsible for students who do not pass their exam(s).
- Make-up tests and Proctored exams: Sometimes, circumstances arise that may force students to miss a scheduled test. When this happens, arrangements can be made with instructors and the Assessment and Testing Center to take the missed exam at Seminole State's Testing Center. Permission to take a missed exam may only be granted by the course professor. Students must speak with their instructor before scheduling a test.
How will I know which tests I need to take?
Required tests are determined by the specific program a student wishes to complete. There are several ways to know which test(s) you must take:
Where are Seminole State's Assessment and Testing Centers Located?
Seminole State offers assessment and testing services on all four campuses:
What should I bring on the day of the test?
Prior to taking any examination, you will need to present a current, valid and original photo ID with a signature (e.g., passport, driver’s license or state-issued ID card). If your photo ID does not include a signature, a second ID is required with your name and signature (e.g., Social Security card, voter registration card, credit card or debit card). Placement testing is administered on a computer. Paper and pencil will be provided for the math portion so you can work out your answers.
The mission of the office of Assessment and Testing is to subscribe to national testing standards and provide students, faculty and the community with professional, secure and quality testing service to ensure that all individuals have the opportunity to meet their quest for academic and professional fulfillment. We adhere to the National College Testing Association (NCTA) Professional Standards and Guidelines.