Visa Application Procedures for International Students

If you are admitted to Seminole State as an international student, we will send you an I-20 form. You will need this form to apply for a student visa (F-1 status).

Go to the American embassy or consulate in your country. You need to bring:

  • An I-20 form
  • The Student and Exchange Visitor (SEVIS) I-901 fee
  • A valid passport
  • Financial documents
  • A letter of admission from school

Complete a visa application at the embassy or consulate. Every American embassy/consulate works from the same set of regulations and laws. The steps they take may be different. After you complete the visa application, you may:

  • Have a person-to-person interview with embassy/consulate staff
  • Be given an appointment for an interview
  • Be given an appointment and asked to bring additional information
  • Have your visa approval process conducted by mail

If your visa is approved, you are given an F-1 visa stamp in your passport. The visa stamp indicates:

  • Where the visa was issued
  • The date the visa was issued
  • The date the visa will expire
  • The number of entries
  • The type of visa
  • The visa number

When you receive your passport with the visa, you are given the I-20 in a sealed envelope.

At the port-of-entry, give the immigration officer the following:

  • Valid passport with visa
  • Sealed envelope with I-20 form
  • Any other requested information

The immigration officer will:

  • Put an ICE entry stamp in your passport
  • Separate the I-20 form
  • Return any other requested information

Want more info? Contact us.