Regardless of your income, all international students must file income tax forms.

If you are an F-1 status student, you must:

  • File tax form 8843 regardless of your income. This must be filed by mid-June.
  • File a 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ form if your income is U.S.-sourced. This must be filed by mid-April.

You can download the forms at

When filing your tax forms, you may need a taxpayer ID number or a Social Security number:

  • If you are filing form 8843, you do not need a taxpayer ID or Social Security number.
  • If you are filing form 1040NR-EZ, you must have a Social Security or a taxpayer ID number.

Contact the International Student Office if you need one of these numbers.

The International Student Office is not qualified or permitted to help you complete your tax forms. There are many complex treaties between the U.S. and other countries that could influence how your forms are completed. For assistance, refer to a professional company that exists to help in these matters.

Note: Tax laws may change. If such changes occur, you may obtain updated information from the International Student Office.

Want more info? Contact us.