Student Affairs Update: Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011
Student Affairs is continuing its effort to keep students informed and to improve students’ experience at Seminole State College of Florida. As Fall Term registration begins, please note the following:
- Files for Summer Term aid continue to be processed by the financial aid office.These files also must go through a federal verification process which can take several days. Once these files are processed by Financial Aid, they are posted to the student accounts to cover any outstanding tuition and book balances, and funds in excess of tuition and books are sent to Higher One to refund each student. Students who have opted to receive a text and/or email notifications from Higher One will be notified of any refund they receive.
- The College expects the majority of funds for Summer Term to be disbursed to students by the end of the week. Students who have opted to receive text and/or email notifications from Higher One will be notified of any refund they receive.
- Fall Term self-service for students in MySeminoleState should be returned on Monday, July 18. This will allow students to view their tuition calculation for Fall Term. Once students can view their fees, they should look for the links in MySeminoleState that allow them to accept/decline awards and defer fees.
- Registration began Monday, July 11, for students who have completed at least 30 credit hours. Open enrollment begins Aug. 1.
- The U.S. Department of Education has developed new regulations regarding financial aid, effective July 1, 2011, that may impact your eligibility and award. Students can expect an email regarding these new regulations to arrive in their Live Mail accounts soon.
Reminders for Fall Term registration
- Financial aid will be disbursed 2-3 weeks after the add/drop period if the student’s file is complete. Students should check the to-do list in their MySeminoleState account to ensure that they are not missing any documents.
- Students who are first-time loan borrowers must wait 30 days before financial aid will be disbursed. The 30-day waiting period does not apply to Pell Grants.
- If classes are taken in A Session and B Session or Full Session and B Session, disbursements will be made incrementally so that students will receive only a portion of their aid first and additional amounts later. This is because faculty must verify that students are enrolled in the number of credits on which their estimated award was based. The verification of students’ enrollment can be done only after the end of the add/drop period of each session or term.
- Students have until the payment due date listed in their MySeminoleState account to pay or defer their fees. Once students have accepted their awards and deferred their fees, the payment due date will change. Students who do not pay or defer their fees by the due date will be dropped from their classes.
- Students must meet Standards of Progress to be eligible to receive financial aid. Students who do not demonstrate satisfactory academic progress will be placed on financial aid suspension.