Hurricane season is here. Are you prepared?
Wednesday, May 31, 2017
Hurricane season begins June 1 and continues through Nov. 30, so it’s time to get prepared. Seminole State College’s Emergency Response Team offers these hurricane safety tips.
Preparing for a hurricane
- Register for emergency text alerts from Seminole State.
To sign up to receive any emergency text messages from Alert Seminole, Seminole County's free official instant messaging alert system:
- Go to Alert Seminole's website.
- Click the "Register" button.
- Complete the requested information, including how you wish to be notified (select a phone for text messaging) and what you wish to be notified about (weather and/or other emergencies).
- Select "Seminole State College" as the group near the bottom of this page.
- Click "continue" to select additional options or to complete the enrollment process.
- Download the LifeLine Response app for push notifications to your smartphone. The app is free to all currently enrolled students, as well as faculty and staff.
- Download the app.
- Register within the app using your official Seminole State email address (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Program the emergency hotline -- 407.708.2290 -- into your phone. This hotline is updated with emergency information.
- Have access to a battery-powered weather radio.
- Discuss preparedness plans with family and friends.
- Review information provided on the College’s emergency website, Seminole State Alert.
How you'll be notified
- Listen for emergency broadcasts through the Emergency Alert Phone System. Speaker phones are located in all classrooms and offices at Seminole State.
- Visit Seminole State's website for updates.
- Check the College’s home page, online Newsroom, and Facebook and Twitter sites for updated information.
- Call the Emergency Hotline at 407.708.2290.
- Check your mobile phone for emergency text messages.
- Check your Seminole State email account. When possible, Seminole State will email messages to students, faculty and staff.