Safety and parking information
Thursday, Jan 6, 2011
The holidays have come and gone, and a new term is about to begin. Please keep the following tips and reminders in mind when returning to campus this spring:
Crime Prevention and Safety
- Remain alert to your surroundings at all times, and report any suspicious activity to campus security.
- If you suspect that someone on campus is a threat to others, call security immediately. Do not approach the person yourself.
- Lock your car doors, and remove all valuables from sight.
- Do not leave your property unattended.
- At night, stay in well-lit areas.
- Call security for an escort to or from your car if you feel uncomfortable walking alone at night.
- Carefully guard your Seminole State PINs and passwords, as well as your Higher One Card information, credit card numbers, bank account number and ATM PIN.
- If the offer of an "opportunity" appears too good to be true, it probably is. Trust your instincts, and follow common business practices.
If you become aware of a life-threatening emergency on campus, call 911 immediately, and notify the College's Safety and Security Office. For non-life-threatening situations, call the Safety and Security Office on your campus:
- Altamonte Springs: 407.404.6100
- Heathrow: 407.708.4410
- Oviedo: 407.971.5020
- Sanford/Lake Mary: 407.708.2178
Traffic and Parking
- The first two weeks of each term are usually very hectic. Expect traffic slowdowns during the morning and evening rush hours, and plan to arrive early to give yourself enough time to navigate the campus and find a parking space.
- Parking areas are color coded as follows: Student spaces are lined in white; faculty/staff spaces are lined in red/orange; visitor spaces are lined in green; and disabled spaces are lined in blue.
- Students are required to park their vehicles in white-lined student parking areas. Lots and spaces designated for faculty/staff, disabled and visitor use will be monitored by campus security.
- Vehicles driven by students, faculty and staff must display a valid permit at all times while parked on campus.
- Designated parking areas are posted around campus. Parking is not permitted in any area that is not posted or lined for parking.
- Parking on sidewalks, wheelchair ramps, curbs and grass or lawn areas is prohibited, unless specifically directed by campus administration or security.
- Parking in designated fire lanes is prohibited at all times. Violators may be towed at the owner's expense.
- Students, faculty and staff may not park in green-lined visitor spots at any time. Each campus has a limited number of visitor parking spaces, which are reserved for those conducting business with the College.
- Students, faculty, staff and visitors must adhere to all campus parking rules and regulations at all times.
Student parking permits are issued by the Business/Cashiers Office on each campus, while faculty/staff hang tags are issued by Safety and Security. You must show your Seminole State ID Card and provide your license plate number to obtain a parking permit.
- Text messaging from Seminole State: Sign up to receive notification in the event of an emergency. Seminole State offers the service through Alert Seminole.
- Seminole State Alert: The go-to Web resource for College emergency information.
- Emergency Hotline: Call 407.708.2290 to receive the latest information about campuswide class cancellations or closings.
For more information on campus safety, visit the Seminole State Safety and Security home page.