Be prepared for hurricane season
Wednesday, May 30, 2018
Hurricane season began June 1 and continues through Nov. 30, so it’s time to get prepared. Seminole State College’s Emergency Response Team offers these hurricane safety tips.
Preparing for a hurricane
- Register for emergency text alerts from Seminole State.
To sign up to receive any emergency text messages from Alert Seminole, Seminole County's free official instant messaging alert system:
- Go to Alert Seminole's website.
- Click the "Register" button.
- Complete the requested information, including how you wish to be notified (select a phone for text messaging) and what you wish to be notified about (weather and/or other emergencies).
- Select "Seminole State College" as the group near the bottom of this page.
- Click "continue" to select additional options or to complete the enrollment process.
- Download the app.
- Register within the app using your official Seminole State email address (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Program the emergency hotline -- 407.708.2290 -- into your phone. This hotline is updated with emergency information.
- Have access to a battery-powered weather radio.
- Discuss preparedness plans with family and friends.
- Review information provided on the College’s emergency website, Seminole State Alert, and in the College's Emergency Response Guide available in every classroom, lab and office suite collegewide.
How you'll be notified
- Listen for emergency broadcasts through the Emergency Alert Phone System. Speaker phones are located in all classrooms and offices at Seminole State.
- Visit Seminole State's website for updates.
- Check the College’s home page, online Newsroom, and Facebook and Twitter sites for updated information.
- Call the Emergency Hotline at 407.708.2290.
- Check your mobile phone for emergency text messages.
- Check your Seminole State email account. When possible, Seminole State will email messages to students, faculty and staff.