Fire Academy Career Certificate
Major Code : FIRE-VC
Educational Plan: FIRE-VC
The Firefighting Academy is designed to satisfy Bureau of Fire Standards program requirements for Professional Firefighter Certification. Students will receive a wide-range of classroom and hands-on training that includes live-fire training, vehicle extrication, ladder and fire hose operations, search and rescue, hazardous materials response, forcible entry, ventilation operations and fire detection and suppression practices.
**This program is only designed for students who have either completed an EMT course, are currently certified as an EMT, or are currently enrolled in or have completed an EMT program at another institution.**
Applicants must attend a mandatory Fire Academy information session to receive an application packet. Upon selection to move forward in the process, applicants are required to attend a mandatory orientation session to receive additional information prior to the start of the program. Fingerprint and background checks will be completed by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
A minimum overall grade of (70 percent) is required for successful completion of the Fire Academy program; however, a minimum grade of (80 percent) is required for all written exams. Successful completion will allow the graduate to be considered eligible to test for the State of Florida Minimum Fire Standards Firefighter 2 Certification exam. Day and night classes are available.
Total program hours: 398
This is a limited-access program. Program staff will determine candidate selection.
- Have successfully completed an EMT-B or Paramedic program prior to the start of the Fire Academy;
- Attend mandatory Fire Academy information and orientation session;
- Apply and be accepted to Seminole State College as a student;
- Submit a completed Fire Academy application packet;
- Submit proof of age (minimum 18 years of age);
- Complete or be exempt from the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) test;
- Complete a physical medical exam (Forms to be provided during orientation session);
- Physical agility exam may be required (Scheduling will be completed during information session);
- Complete a Fire Academy non-tobacco use affidavit (Forms to be provided during orientation session);
- Complete a Fire Academy drug screening (Forms to be provided during orientation session);
- Complete a Fire Academy background check (Forms to be provided during orientation session)
Firefighting training and certification:
All fire academy training will comply with Florida State Statute 633.408, Firefighter and volunteer firefighter training and certification.
Qualifications for Certification:
All students applying for certification as a firefighter must comply with Florida State Statute 633.412, Firefighters; Qualifications for certification. These qualifications will be discussed at all information sessions.
Courses beginning with a leading digit of "0", postsecondary adult vocational courses and AER prefix courses do not meet the requirements for an Associate in Arts or Bachelor's degree.
Textbook information will be available online for each term's courses 45 days prior to the first day of classes for the term.
Each course offered by Seminole State is listed alphabetically and organized by the course prefix, catalog number and description. The courses in this catalog are identified by prefixes and numbers that were assigned by Florida's Statewide Course Numbering System, a system used by all public postsecondary institutions in Florida and 32 non-public institutions. Seminole State controls the description, credit and content of its own courses.