Professional Certification Programs
Computer programming and system analysis are two of the most dynamic professions in Florida and throughout the United States. The Bureau of Labor Statistics ranks both in its top five list of the fastest growing occupations, and a recent Information Technology Association of America survey estimates that 10 percent of the information technology jobs nationwide are unfilled. As a result, there is a high demand for professionals with these skills.
Why Earn a Professional Certification?
Employers often measure the caliber of job candidates by the certifications they have earned. A certification is an internationally recognized credential from a high-tech company or organization such as Oracle or the Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals (ICCP).
Certifications are earned by passing certification exams, which measure your abilities and knowledge related to a field and product. When you earn certification in a certain area, it indicates that you have demonstrated your competency in computer programming and analysis as well as in a specific company's product offerings.
Earning a professional certification is becoming a vital step for entering a technology field. Certifications help you:
- Determine the types of jobs for which you qualify.
- Increase your starting or current salary.
- Increase your chances of being offered a new position or promotion.
- Expand your opportunities for career growth.
Certification Programs at Seminole State
Students and professionals alike seek professional certification as a means of achieving their career objectives. Seminole State offers several computer programming and analysis certification programs to help meet this need, as well as the needs of the business community. They are:
- Oracle Certified Associate Database
- Oracle Certified Associate Java Programmer
- Certified Internet Web Database Design Specialist
Two options are available for completing Seminole State's certification programs:
- A.S. degree track: Take courses that will help you prepare for a certification exam and earn credit toward an Associate in Science (A.S.) degree
- Non-degree track: Take courses that will help you prepare for a certification exam without earning credit toward an A.S. degree
Certification exams can be taken at Seminole State's Professional Testing and Certification Center. You must pass the exam in order to earn certification in a certain area. Passing the courses does not guarantee that you will pass the exam.